Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Metal detecting Operation Lumberjack

Article about: Hi all, I've been out metal detecting today again after quite a while of not having done that, I thought to myself why not post it up here aswell, now don't get too excited since after all t

Default Metal detecting Operation Lumberjack

Hi all,
    I've been out metal detecting today again after quite a while of not having done that, I thought to myself why not post it up here aswell, now don't get too excited since after all this is the Western Front and you don't find that much here and what you do find is mostly in bad condition, regardless, I'd like to show you today's finds, and if this gathers interest I might continue posting finds here and perhaps also things I have found in the past few years
    Enough talk, here are the finds from today, not much but interesting.
    The items were found in a field a few km from Euskirchen.

List of the finds:
    -Badge from the "Tag der Wehrmacht 1942", amazingly the iron pin is still mostly intact!
    -broken tunic button made of aluminium
    -part of an early war M31 bread bad in aluminium, see last picture for comparison to one that is still in place
    -3x 1 Reichspfennig 1941,1942 and unreadable in bad condition
    -1x 10 Reichspfennig date unreadable
    -1x 50 Reichspfennig 1921
    -1x 50 Reichspfennig 1941
    and One Cent from the US of A, date also unreadable, almost looks like 1954?

Luis

Ignore the one picture that is rotated wrong please
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metal detecting Operation Lumberjack   Metal detecting Operation Lumberjack  

Metal detecting Operation Lumberjack   Metal detecting Operation Lumberjack  

Always interesting (to me anyway) viewing such dug up items.
    Thanks for sharing & would like to see more
    D.

Interesting finds, wonder if the field was a POW camp post war, maybe ?
    Regards
    Paul

Thank you for your replies, David and Paul,
    I will post more finds tomorrow.
    Not sure, I think if it were a POW camp it would have been a strange location as it isn't the biggest field and it is pretty close to a small river, I think those things are just from when they fought in that area, since I found an almost fully loaded MP40 magazine not far form there.
    And there is actual historical documentation from one villager's diary where they said that the streets were littered with equipment, steel helmets, mess kits etc, though that was from a village a few km further, but I would guess that they might have surrendered there perhaps, but sadly, I can't confirm nor deny any theory.
    I will keep you posted.
    Luis

Alright, after having read through some things in this section, how about a quick disclaimer!
    No need to worry, moderators, all my metal detecting is legal since I have an official Nachforschungsgenehmigung and only detect on the fields that are depicted in said permission,if need be I can send you a picture of it, I am actually going to visit the archaeologists in a bit more than a week since I need to get my permission renewed.
    Just so you know, and I obviously don't detect in the forests (sadly) since it's not allowed over here..
    Luis