Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Meuse Argonne Springfield found in river

Article about: Yes just searched your topic...amazing find, really! You must have had a great day that day. Have you cleaned it already? Still looking where to go this move, I think the woods around Cumel

Default Re: Meuse Argonne Springfield found in river

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Damn, i honestly thought when i first looked at the picture that it was a Model 1917 but I said nothing incase I was wrong and looked like an idiot Well, well done to the guys who know their weapons and their history more tha me and I'll keep learning

Thanks

Danny
    No you are not a idiot,I am for saying it was a springfield.I have been going relic hunting in that region for years and always found French and German rifles and wanted to find a springfield .I guess to me that what it was just had it in my head.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    No you are not a idiot,I am for saying it was a springfield.I have been going relic hunting in that region for years and always found French and German rifles and wanted to find a springfield .I guess to me that what it was just had it in my head.
    Trust me, if you knew me you would know that I'm generally a bit of an idiot at times well, I've made the same mistake as you sometimes and actually said whats in my head instead of the facts, I think that the fact that its a Model 1917 is better than if it was a springfield, as it might be a lot older than you originally thought

Thanks

Danny

Quote by zimm303 View Post
    That is actually a Model 1917 Enfield.
    Hello,
    I agree it's a P17 made in USA.
    Here's a couple of pic's of mine. It was made by Eddystone, (a subsiduary of Remington), in 1916 at the Old Baldwin Loco Works, for British P14 contract. It was brought up to Weedon Repair Standard in 1939, (lot of 677,000), and supplied to the Greek Government after WW2 to assist in the civil war.
    The immediate give away was the distinctive rear sight assembly.
    Hope I'm right here!
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Meuse Argonne Springfield found in river   Meuse Argonne Springfield found in river  

Hello-the Enfield M1917 was the most common rifle in service with the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) in France in WW1-over 60% of troops were equipped with them by the Armistice in November 1918-they had been designed for easy mass production and the factories were fully set up for manufacture after making the British P14 version when the US entered the war in 1917. Their use in combat by late 1944 was very limited as by WW2 they were mostly used for training.

Can you see any remaining markings on the metal work? This may be a P1914 with the Volley sight plate missing.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Can you see any remaining markings on the metal work? This may be a P1914 with the Volley sight plate missing.
    I was hopping to find some marking on it ,but this was not the case it would have been nice to display with the marking but they are gone 90 years in the water will do that plus I really do not want to clean it anymore than it is.

Heres an idea, how is the breech? You could squeeze some plastercine into the breech to get a shape, or perhaps a bar of soap? The .303 and .30" are very different.

Heres an idea, how is the breech? You could squeeze some plastercine into the breech to get a shape, or perhaps a bar of soap? The .303 and .30" are very different.
    I am not much of a gun guy ,but I do collect them from ww1 and ww2 for historical value but I do not keep them at the house my wife father has all of my rifles he is the gun guy and keep them in good condition .I just sent it to him to make sure it was properly store and clean and add it to my collect .I told him it was a springfield now I know it is probably not.I will ask him to confirm what it is.

Hello m3bobby
    Are these the remains of the volley sight that you asked Chris to look for on his river find? I'd be glad of any more information regarding the history of these rifles. Well done for finding this one Chris.
    Many thanks,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Meuse Argonne Springfield found in river   Meuse Argonne Springfield found in river  

Yep, that the one, I thought yours may also be a Model 1914 or Rifle No.3 as its also known. I'm no P17 expert (Although I do have a 1918 Eddystone version) but I dont think the 1917 was fitted with the volley sights. Is yours definatly a 1917? Maybe the wood works been replaced in British service?

Cheers, Chris.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast