Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Moissy Ford Relics

Article about: Hi All, I'm reasonably new to this forum so I'd like to take this opportunity to say hello. Please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong part of the forum. I've recently relocated from the U

?

Default Moissy Ford Relics

Hi All,

I'm reasonably new to this forum so I'd like to take this opportunity to say hello. Please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong part of the forum.

I've recently relocated from the UK to Normandy and I'm utilising this move to get out and explore some of the excellent locations over here.

I have today visited Moissy Ford and managed to find a few artefacts by having a quick rummage around in the hedgerows in the area.

I've attached a couple of pictures, Moissy Ford as it is now, and the relics that found.

From top to bottom, left to right, this is what I think they are:

Mauser rifle bolt

Unknown

Shrapnel

Unknown

Possible radiator cap, don't know if this is military or not, it's quite ornate, with small embossed floral decals, the underside appears to be copper.

Shrapnel

Unknown

Bullet projectile unknown origin

7.92 mm round - base stamp: P186 S 5 39

9 mm round

9 mm round

I'm very surprised at the poor condition of the rounds, I know they have been in the ground for a long time but I thought they were produced from non-ferrious metals, but the projectiles are quite rough, as though they are made from iron.

Any comments on my attempts at identifying the items would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin.

Moissy Ford RelicsMoissy Ford Relics

The 'radiator cap' appears to be what's left of an old ashtray.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Right, so that's likely to be junk dumped by the locals rather than a war relic?