Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

More interesting UK airfield finds.

Article about: I'm going on holiday shortly so I thought I'd get on and post my latest finds before I go. Because times a little tight I haven't numbered the pictures like I normally do but I think you'll

Default More interesting UK airfield finds.

I'm going on holiday shortly so I thought I'd get on and post my latest finds before I go. Because times a little tight I haven't numbered the pictures like I normally do but I think you'll be ok following the thread.

The first pictures are in as found, I've included a couple of items that I found previously and have recently cleaned up.

1) As found.
    2) The remains of painted thin canvas, notice the remains of a white star.
    3) An empty US Carbine M1 magazine.
    4) This picture shows both sides of a US plastic/bakelite pocket calendar for the years 1945 & 1946.
    5) The clip from a US M1 Garand Rifle.
    6) I have no idea what this very rusted piece is, 3 views shown.

(cleaned up to follow)
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More interesting UK airfield finds.   More interesting UK airfield finds.  

More interesting UK airfield finds.   More interesting UK airfield finds.  

Default Re: More interesting UK airfield finds.

(continues)

7) This was quite a job to clean because the painted canvas is very brittle and split. But I came up ok. I believe this could be a small piece of airskin from a WACO CG4A glider?
    8) M1 Carbine mag & Garande rifle clip.
    9) The cleaned up pocket calendar.
    10) A nice little bakelite pointer knob marked Made in Delaware the other label is also bakelite.
    11) This label is interesting in that it gives the weights of different types of ammo. Sadly the side that would help identify its use is missing but I can make out gravity position and start each and cator?. Probably for loading of aircraft.
    12/13/14 A plate sized aluminium lid marked 'Thermos' 'Glass lining treat with care' 'Rinse with warm water before use'. I think used to keep food warm. Two holes I guess for a handle.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More interesting UK airfield finds.   More interesting UK airfield finds.  

(continued)

15/16/17) This is a strange one!, I found these together in a bundle they're made of a brittle sort of plasicised metal almost mother of pearl like which makes me think they're probably made of the mineral mica?. Inside each one is a very thin L shaped piece of copper?.
    I think these could be one of the many types of window or chaff that were thrown out of aircraft over targets to confuse and blind radar?
    18/19/20/21) Finally the rusted unidentified object, it appears to be part of electrical equipment. The small plate is marked 6 DC with the number 1081 below. Any idea's.

Thats it for now, all the best.

LUCKYSTRIKE

More interesting UK airfield finds.  

?

Looks like painstaking work. the chaff is very interesting if that's what they are. I always thought they were more like strips of an aluminium type of foil. Keep up the good work.
    Cheers, Al.

Nice finds.

You got a chopped up .50cal as well I see.

Steve T