Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

More Normandy finds

Article about: These items were all found by me in Normandy last year, when i wasnt really looking for anything!!! the German Mauser bullet comes from Utah Beach, it was live but has now been drilled in on

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

Default More Normandy finds

These items were all found by me in Normandy last year, when i wasnt really looking for anything!!! the German Mauser bullet comes from Utah Beach, it was live but has now been drilled in one side, square particle gun powder was found inside it

The since identified US 30 cal round came from the garden of our friends house in Montbourg, it was washed out by a very heavy rainfall by the corner of their barn and a dry stone wall next to a lane that leads to Montbourg itself just over a mile away

a perfect place for a heavy machine gun crew trying to advance on a heavilly defended area maybe? it was live but as i wiped away the mud i suppose due to the copper/brass reaction? the tip snapped off as you can see in the pics, but despite being in the ground 64 years the powder inside which looked like hundreds and thousands was as dry as you like! and even flared when i disposed of it in the incinarator!!

his house bears the scars of many many bullet holes inside and out and is surrounded by fields and hedgerows in "Villiers Bocage" sadly a German stick grenade which was found by them a few years back whilst doing renovations in the garden, unfortunately it was rather unseremoniously tossed into their fresh water lake by the local Gendarme when he turned up after they reported it to him, I am taking some waders and a metal detector with me next year when i go!!!

The remains of a U.S.N flashlight were found laying washed up on Carterét beach at low tide on the surf line, at first i just thought the local fishermen had been throwing his rubbish in the channel!!!, untill i picked it up and examined it closer and saw U.S.N embossed in the plastic i nearly fell over! as things like that never happen to me and 3 finds happened on 1 holiday!! the button still slides and presses down, im not sure who exactly would have carried these? the pilot on a landing craft maybe?

Default Re: More Normandy finds

Awesome , id have to go back straight away to try to find that grenade , cheers Raymond

The flashlight could be from a landing craft, or a USN demolitions team or beach control.

?

Yes the local Gendarme, have an interesting method of dealing with ordnance, I remember finding some German mortar rounds off Utah beach, along with about 35 X 7.92, MG 34/42 live rounds near a concrete MG position, back in 1989, a local Gendarme arrived later in the day and took the belt, and threw it into a massive gorse looking bush, showing with hands in the air, an exclamation of "Thats gone "

?

I saw one of those USN flashlights in my local second-hand shop this morning.

All the best,
    PB

go back and look for the grenade,,you will probably find other items as well....

jgawne
    ?

The flashlight could also have easily been 'liberated' by a soldier while bring transported to France.