Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

More RAF dump digging

Article about: Took advantage of a sunny day to return to my local aircraft scrapping site. The field I wanted to search had been planted and the crop was sprouting so no joy there. Talked to the landowner

?

Default More RAF dump digging

Took advantage of a sunny day to return to my local aircraft scrapping site. The field I wanted to search had been planted and the crop was sprouting so no joy there. Talked to the landowner's wife and found out he would not be around for a while as he'd just been banged up for contempt of court that morning. Who says rural life is dull. Bumped into a promising looking gentleman who turned out to own the pasture on the opposite side of the road to where I had just failed. He remembered playing in the abandoned aircraft as a kid but regrettably he'd not kept any souvenirs. As he described it, one kid would sit in the cockpit of 'a little one' while his mates would rock the wings to give a more realistic dog fight effect.
    Anyway, some bits found, although nothing spectacular. The stainless drain plugs and rectangular switch box cover look to be Douglas made so probably Boston/Havoc but the part number database is unclear. The folded square panel was helpfully labelled 'fuel filler cover' so probably is.

Nice finds there.

Yes, nice finds Ian. Somewhere there must be a field where they scrapped Spitfires and Whitleys together

?

Thanks Jerry. Whitleys yes, Elliott, but I fear no Spits came through there. A fragment of Buckmaster for the discerning collector? No, me neither.

what are those circular concrete block things? theres a few of those next to a ww2 airfield I go to.

?

Tie down blocks to stop your planes blowing away i strong winds!