Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The motherload of Anti-Gas Onitment

Article about: Superb finds WH. I prefer to use the Hammerite rust removing stuff, but only because it is less toxic than Oxalic acid. Steve T

Default Re: The motherload of Anti-Gas Onitment

Hello Steve, Sorry to hear yours came up in bad shape. I brought my stuff from the 99p shop it's called 'Rust Remover' LS also brought some. I was taking them out every day and giving them a quick rub with a old toothbrush and a splash of fresh water.

I hope this helps

Cheers

John

Hi John

Here are the results for my items courtesy of John. As you can see the Gas ointment tins have come out the same as Steve's effort and I used the same derust chemical as John. All I can say is it's down to the condition they came out of the ground. I think they've passed their best!!! Probably if they'd been found 5 or 10 years earlier the final result would have been different. But no worries it was an interesting project trying to clean them.

I'm much happier with the RAF emergency ration tin. After a good clean and reshape of the crushed tin it turned out quite well. Obviously it's a post war item dated 1964.

Cheers

LUCKYSTRIKE

Shame about yours aswel LS. If i dig anymore out in the future your more than welcome to try again. 4 of mine came up good the rest i had to chuck they came up like yours and Steves. Glad your pleased with the RAF tin

Cheers

John

It was a shame but never mind. I was very grateful to get them off you !

As LS says, it's all down to how badly corroded they are. It looks like it wasn't down to my rust remover after all so don't worry about getting any for me John, (unless you already have of course !)

Cheers

Steve T

Hello Steve, I havn't been to town yet. I'm probably going to pick some up for my self as i used all of mine up. By the way how did your RAF tin clean up?

Cheers

John

Just cleaning it up now John. Will post some pics when it's done

Steve T

John,
    Thats a kind offer but only if you have a surplus of them when/if you find anymore. I enjoyed the cleaning process, each day hoping something readable would appear.
    Steve
    On a positive note the RAF emergency ration tins are made of ali so less prone to corrosion, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    LS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4