Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The motherload of Anti-Gas Onitment

Article about: Superb finds WH. I prefer to use the Hammerite rust removing stuff, but only because it is less toxic than Oxalic acid. Steve T

Default The motherload of Anti-Gas Onitment

Hello

Didn't wake up till 10.40am so time i was ready to go out it was about 2.00pm
    Thought i'd have a go on the encampment site. I turned the iron mask on my machine off for a change. I started off finding a few bits of shrapnel and a few odd .303's here and there, i decided to move to the other side of the site. As i walked through a dip in the ground my detector went wacky it sounded a bit like RD X2 or whatever hes called. i must have walked over this bit about 20 times in all the times i've searched this site . It's a very shallow pit and extremely hard digging all rooty, only dug a tiny section of it should keep my busy for a while.

Any idea on how i should clean the pots i'm sure a label will be under them

Thanks for looking

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The motherload of Anti-Gas Onitment   The motherload of Anti-Gas Onitment  

The motherload of Anti-Gas Onitment   The motherload of Anti-Gas Onitment  

Last edited by Whitehunter; 11-13-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Default Re: The motherload of Anti-Gas Onitment

Opps I forgot to upload the pictures

Hi John,

Nice finds and perhaps more to come, well done.

I found a load of those anti dimming ointment tins with the lid at both ends some time ago, I cleaned mine using oxalic acid and unbelievably what just looked like a rusty tubes some came out with green paint and fully readable labels. So you could try that otherwise Im sure that Hammerite anti rust cleaner will also do the job but perhaps you should try a stronger solution.

Good luck.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Hello mate, Thanks for the advice ill have a go tomorrow. If they come up anygood i'll bring one down for you and steve next week if you don't already have one of this type

Cheers

John

John,

Thanks mate Id like that, you can have a couple of mine in return and I'll bring a couple for Steve.

All the best.

LS

Great finds guys, and awesome job cleaning them up I know of a site thats down south where hundreds of these were buried, along with gas masks and other pieces of anti gas equipment. I'll have a look through all my files and see if I can dig out the information if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Danny

Managed to find the memory stick with the information on it a lot quicker than I expected According to what I was told the equipment was dumped in a small disused quarry of some sort near "Bottle Hill" in a place called Plympton. I was also told that its not far from a Car Spares yard and that from the bottom of the hill its no longer than an five minute walk and is on the left of a small track. More specifically a lot of wartime Mk1 Light Anti Gas Respirator filters and the variants of the Service Respirator were dumped there, along with a very large amount of decontamination chemicals, ointments.

Hopefully this is useful to someone

Thanks

Danny

Thanks for sharing. We have quite a few family members in Salcombe witch is fairly close to Plympton But we hardly go to see them

Hopefully theres some one from Devon on the forum who can investigate

Looks like your onto a great site. Keep up the good work.

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Hi John,

Nice finds and perhaps more to come, well done.

I found a load of those anti dimming ointment tins with the lid at both ends some time ago, I cleaned mine using oxalic acid and unbelievably what just looked like a rusty tubes some came out with green paint and fully readable labels. So you could try that otherwise Im sure that Hammerite anti rust cleaner will also do the job but perhaps you should try a stronger solution.

Good luck.

LUCKYSTRIKE

I think that the type of tin used on the dimming ointment is the same tin used for containing Valve grinding paste prior to WW2. I have some where a tin of dimming ointment and a tin of prewar valve paste given to me by may dad, it is exactly the same, even down to the colour, the only diffrence is the black writing is instructions for grinding.

ATB, Chris.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast