Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 4 Year old's first relic find.

Article about: Great 'first find' for a four year old.........! How is your daughter going to display her helmet ?

Default My 4 Year old's first relic find.

OK guys...I know it's not going to exactly rock this world, but out walking the dogs this morning across a field the farmers ploughed yesterday my 4 year old daughter suddenly said, "Daddy....there's a hat like your one" giving her my usual "oooh yes Nikkita" but not really looking where she was pointing I carried on but she stopped and tried to pull this out of the clay. "Daddy......I've found your hat!" she said as I walked over to her, and (much as I hate to admit it)........I walked straight past it............but she, a little closer to the ground than I didn't. It turned out to be a really nice condition Q66 M35 helmet, traces of field-grey paint........with an aluminium liner (which fell apart cleaning it), If it wasn't for the heavily corroded ventilation hole inserts.......this could very easily be restorable - it's seriously thick and solid! Well this afternoon I went back over to the field with a shovel and camera.......but nothing yet.
    My 4 Year old's first relic find.My 4 Year old's first relic find.My 4 Year old's first relic find.My 4 Year old's first relic find.My 4 Year old's first relic find.My 4 Year old's first relic find.

Default Re: My 4 Year old's first relic find.

Thats what I'd call lucky! Congrats!

?

Super! There is always something about finding a helmet. I have an idea about that there should be more there, if itøs not just some kid who lost it there playing years ago. Do you have a metal detector? Maybe there could even be a dumping site in the area. Could of course also be a fallen soldier. Do you know the WW2 story of the area?

Very cool your daughter finding this and it's not in too bad condition.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Very nice find! Lucky you!
    Thanks for showing.

Regards

wow very lucky a brilliant helmet well done your daughter a very good eye

Great find! It's well preserved, considering it was found in a ploughed field.

?

you better buy that girl an ice cream at least lol.
    andrew

I do know that the forests behind this field were part of the "Black triangle", a name the Germans gave to the area between three different mountains, as it fast became a no-go area for any non-suicidal military personnel (So much so that one town was renamed Partizanske after the war). I know there was a lot of fighting in the late stages of the war, but ashamed to say I've never even made a cursory research into the area. All I know is that the hills and mountains are studded with caves that the Partizan's used to use as weapons cache's and strong-points. I'm GOING to do dome fact digging from now on though.
    My 4 Year old's first relic find. The area we found this helmet has never, (picture shows Bismarck sprinting along the Ploughed section) in the 7 years we've lived here been ploughed as it's part of a vineyard (not sure why all of a sudden a small end-section of this land HAS been ploughed), but...........been toying with the idea of a metal detector for a LONG time, might just splash out now. Any suggestions for models and makes guys?
    She WAS rewarded for her radar skills today...Ice-Cream.no...it's already one degree above zero here now, but rest assured she's been duly rewarded!

?

Sounds like the whole area is really worth a go. Nice dog, and name btw. If you want a affordable relic detector i would go for the Fisher F5. I use this one myself. It's a new model and can in many way do the same as much more expensive M D's. For relics i think a good M D is important, but the cheaper and simpler F2 could also be an option. Fisher makes really good M D's. If you need some help with tips or something i will be happy to help. But get as much info on the area as possible. It pays off, but detecting the general area of the find would not be a bad idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast