Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My First day detecting and wow , some amazing finds, help needed on I.D

Article about: Thanks for that Steve. I am bran new at ordinance so you will have to excuse my ignorance to the bullet types . Will clean up it up tomorrow and report back !!

?

Default Re: My First day detecting and wow , some amazing finds, help needed on I.D

Thanks for that Steve. I am bran new at ordinance so you will have to excuse my ignorance to the bullet types . Will clean up it up tomorrow and report back !!

Default Re: My First day detecting and wow , some amazing finds, help needed on I.D

No problem gouldy. Pleased to help.

And on that note, here is some more help ...........

Bullet = the projectile that comes out the end of the barrel at high speed when a gun is fired.
    Cartridge = the 'container' which holds the blast cap and propellent charge which is ignited when the gun fires.
    Round = a bullet and a cartridge when together as a complete unit.

So what you have is a cartridge, most certainly not a bullet.

Collecting ordnance is a great hobby. Digging it up yourself makes it even better. There are plenty of people on this marvellous forum who love helping guys new to ordnance, like me. Getting the terminology correct will help you get to grips with ordnance much quicker.

?

forgot to put that we also found a tank, probably for fuel additve etc, it measure approx 300x300x1000mm we could dig it up but got knows where I would put it lol

The round looks like a .30-06 blank to me.

?

Hi guys

I am now thinking of selling all the items found during my metal detecting, if anyone has an interest in any bits, please send me over a PM or post a reply

many thanks

Jim

The third photo is an electrical isolator, the white porcelain part is the fuse holder for a BS3036 fuse carrier. The handle on the side turn the power on and off.

I am assuming its quite heavy for its size, as it is cast, there would have been door which hinges at the bottom (handle end) and it is then secures by 2 wing nut bolts at the top. The last 2 photos on page one are of the door that attaches to the other bit.

I'm not a saddo that collects them, it's just that when surveying site I come across them quite often, also for info they would have had asbestos flash pads in the fuse carrier.
    Last edited by Jerry Wright; 03-05-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: more info. XXX

?

thanks for the info, I have done nothing with them, just chucked them in the shed, they will probably be going in the bin tbh, just wanted to keep them until someone could identify them as they were dated 39

What's going in the bin???

?

The big cast cupboard and door , I have no use for it and its only sat doing nothing, is it worth anything??

Pedant mode has let you down. A cartridge is a single unit of ammunition (called a Round in modern parlance ). It consists of a Cartridge CASE, Propellant, Projectile ( sometimes loosely called a bullet) and a Primer. So the fired brass objects found are in fact cartridge CASES.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast