Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

My trip to the Ostfront

Article about: by Scout No, it wouldnt. They are live and potentially unstable. I shudder at the thought, of a grenade detonating in the hands of a digger in the middle of a dense hard-to-get-to wooded are

?

Default Re: My trip to the Ostfront

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Ok gents let's continue.
    4th day of the trip.
    Digging at the Auwere Bridgehead. A vast area of swamps and huge trees. One wrong step and you can stuck in the mud.
    Herr Carius knew this well when he was thinking how to entitle his book. "Tiger Im Schlamm" (Tigers in the mud).
    If i am not mistaken the 2nd photo depicts the Rollbahn that Carius was mentioning in the book. The road that the tigers were using to move around.
    The second photo is indeed the Tiger road to point 33.9 in between the Ost und West Sack !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

5th day
    A visit to the border Estonia-Russia. A magnificent area with awesome view. Just a bridge is separating the 2 countries.
    You will understand the area better with the following pictures.
    Everywhere memorials from WWII
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My trip to the Ostfront   My trip to the Ostfront  

My trip to the Ostfront   My trip to the Ostfront  

Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Our intention was to go for digging again but the weather was rainy at the forest thus it spoiled our plans.
    So we stayed longer at the area of the castle.
    On the Estonian side the Hermannsburg castle is found whilst on the opposite Russian side, the Ivangorod fortress.
    The Hermannsburg was founded in 1256 by the Danes and the first stone castle was built in the beginning of the 14th century. The German Livonian Teutonic knights order purchased the castle on 29 August, 1346, and for most of its history the castle was German Teutonic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My trip to the Ostfront   My trip to the Ostfront  

Some pictures from the surrounding area of the Hermannsburg castle. Look how close is the Ivangorod fortress.
    More photos tomorrow, showing the interior of the Hermannsburg.

My trip to the Ostfront  

?

My trip to the Ostfront
    Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Sooden is buried in Jõhvi, near the church and as I remembered his bunker got a direct hit. It was in the old graveyard, near the old Narva-Tallinn road (goes now between Hill 69.9 and Grenadier Hill). Do not forget that one of the greatest tank acces - Otto Carius - also fought there. And he is also very alive and just republished his Tigers in the Mud recently again in German. Narva battlefield is really an very interesting area. And not only because of the WWII battles.
    Memorial stone for SS Sturmbannfuhrer Georg Sooden , Commander I / SS Panzer Gren Regt 47.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

It looks like you had a great time on your trip Chris. Thanks for showing the pictures.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

great photos again. but why could you not take a grenade ? it would be great . All area and places are great as i see. Great monuments, castle e.t.c

?

Quote by herrzark View Post
    great photos again. but why could you not take a grenade ? it would be great . All area and places are great as i see. Great monuments, castle e.t.c
    No, it wouldnt. They are live and potentially unstable.
    I shudder at the thought, of a grenade detonating in the hands of a digger in the middle of a dense hard-to-get-to wooded area - let alone one of those monster mortars exploding.

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    You got some great photos Chris , whilst i was talking !! the cornfield is the site of the RK action of Panzerjager SS Sturmann Remy Schrynen of the SS Sturmbriade " Langemark ", here he singly knocked out 12 Soviet tanks with his PAK 75 !!
    Woahhhh really cool to see where Remy won his RK!! I bet the feeling of standing on that field is even more amazing if you were to use your imagination just a bit. Spectacular photos Chris. I bet you were able to learn alot from Paul...must have been awesome. Gonna get back to looking at the rest of the thread now....

?

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Woahhhh really cool to see where Remy won his RK!! I bet the feeling of standing on that field is even more amazing if you were to use your imagination just a bit. Spectacular photos Chris. I bet you were able to learn alot from Paul...must have been awesome. Gonna get back to looking at the rest of the thread now....
    Bill i found a 75mm shell case on the position about 4 years ago whether it was one of Remy's from the PAK i don't know but i like to think it could be !!

1st July 1916

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast