Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Mysterious 8th Air Force relic

Article about: The picture below shows a US canteen cup that I discovered at the end of last year on a former B-17 base ... OK ... so its not the most exciting find in the world ... but it was a strange fi

Default Mysterious 8th Air Force relic

The picture below shows a US canteen cup that I discovered at the end of last year on a former B-17 base ... OK ... so its not the most exciting find in the world ... but it was a strange find for two reasons - firstly it was deep ... about 3 foot down (i.e. unlikely that it got down that far naturally and only about 6 feet away from the front door of a ruined nissen hut .... secondly, it contained large amounts of burnt celluloid film ... and burnt paper ....

Unfortunately nothing could be discerned from the burnt contents and I shall always wonder what the story is behind this item .... what was burnt in it & why?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mysterious 8th Air Force relic  

?

Default Re: Mysterious 8th Air Force relic

Gremlin, looks like a US canteen holder, went inside the canvas holder and the canteen fit inside. Used as a cup out in the field with the mess kit. Nice find John

Intriging to say the least? Evidence of an illicit love affair? Who knows!

Cheers, Ade.