Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!

Article about: Hi. I was wondering if anybody would help me in giving these NAAFI and RAF insignia some rough dates. It is for my university dissertation so would be of great help. To give them abit of con

HRA
    ?

Default NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!

Hi. I was wondering if anybody would help me in giving these NAAFI and RAF insignia some rough dates. It is for my university dissertation so would be of great help.

To give them abit of context, they come from a military waste dumping ground, where i collected lots of ceramic and glass finds.

There are two NAAFI insignia, one maroon and one blue.
    And then when it comes to the RAF, I have uploaded two pictures of the same sherd which I believe so signs of an RAF insignia. Confirming this would be particularly important as have lots of sherds with the blue and gold edging. Also have another item with a clearer RAF insignia but dont have that with me at the moment, but shall upload later.

As I said, this is for my final year university dissertation so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!   NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!  

NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!   NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!  

Default Re: NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!

Hi HRA and welcome.

I may be able to help you a little but without exact dates as I am afraid this is not my area of expertise.

I too have found the maroon mark on pottery I have found on an airbase. The base itself was only open during the war years so we can assume that the maroon insignia is at least as old as 1945 and earlier than 1939. The RAF marked pottery is an entirely different kettle of fish as I have not seen any like this before. I have, however, found a fork with this RAF crest on it, along with other pieces of cutlery marked with other crests. (I have attached pic for you below).

If you know when the base was open, (where you are searching the dump), this will give you a rough guide. Apart from that have you tried contacting the NAAFI directly ? Or the RAF ? I am sure one of their historians will be able to help.

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!   NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!  

NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!   NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!  

NAAFi & RAF Insignia - PLEASE HELP!