Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

From Narva all the way to Australia

Article about: by Paul E Boriss is a nice guy and great to deal with but he is not a digger himself , he buys all his relic stuff from other diggers in Narva , Kurland , Russia etc etc but all his e bay st

Default From Narva all the way to Australia

Hi guys,
    I have been looking for a WW2 German battle damaged helmet. Found a great seller on ebay with a beauty.
    Started to bid and within a few days ebay deleted it off? I contacted the seller and he said he still had it and ebay deleted it due to nazi symbols WTF ( Cant see any symbold or markings). He said i can grab it for the last bid price. I was very happy as i had my heart set on it.

I was worryed that it wouldnt make it into Australia but finally it just arrived...
    R.I.P to the soldier if he died wearing it...

This is the info i have on the helmet...

"Original WW II German relic helmet M42.
    It was found on the spots of fightings ,which took place nearby Narva in year 1944.

Size = 64
    The helmet was found in Auvere(12 km far from Narva).
    There is a book of Richard Landwehr "Narva 1944" about the battle that happened here."

New Addition to my ww2 collection by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

- - Updated - -

Could anyone tell me more about the fighting in this area? Were most soldiers "SS"?
    This damage looks like scrapnal. What kind of deviced caused this? Artillery?

Default Re: From Narva all the way to Australia

No, most of soldiers were not from Waffen SS but there were also many SS units there. You can read for example book "Tigers in the mud" written by German tankace Otto Carius about battles around Narwa and Auwere.

I believe the seller is a member here. Nice lid.

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    No, most of soldiers were not from Waffen SS but there were also many SS units there. You can read for example book "Tigers in the mud" written by German tankace Otto Carius about battles around Narwa and Auwere.

Thanks for that info I will look for that book

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I believe the seller is a member here. Nice lid.
    I thought it was Top bloke and he was a pleasure to deal with. Definatly interested to buy more from him.

- - Updated - -

There are a couple of what look like bullet holes but most may be shrapnel. Any one guess what damage may be from?

?

Nice lid marc. As for the damage to it, it's really difficult to say exactly what caused it. There seem to be multiple strikes from low velocity small arms and higher velocity rounds. Probably pistol or sub machine gun and rifle fire and a mixture of shrapnel too. My suggestion is that it lay on the ground for a while in the area of a high intensity firefight, or was used afterwards as target practice by bored soldiers, but I suppose nobody will ever know for sure.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

The book you really need to buy for a complete History of the Narva fighting is Tragedy of the Faithful by Wilhelm Tieke it's the bible for these Battles. The Narva fighting went on for nearly 9 months and featured primarily SS Units of III SS Panzerkorps but also many veteran ArmeeGruppe Nord Divisons of the Heer , 11 ID ,61 ID,170 ID , 225ID,227 ID etc. If you search through this section you will find quite a few threads about mine and other diggers expeditions into the Auwere Bridgehead and other areas of the Narva Front !!

Cheers

Paul

Was the lid from RussianHeritage ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Nice lid marc. As for the damage to it, it's really difficult to say exactly what caused it. There seem to be multiple strikes from low velocity small arms and higher velocity rounds. Probably pistol or sub machine gun and rifle fire and a mixture of shrapnel too. My suggestion is that it lay on the ground for a while in the area of a high intensity firefight, or was used afterwards as target practice by bored soldiers, but I suppose nobody will ever know for sure.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Thanks Andy, exactly what i was thinking. WEier the soldier dropped it, was killed and the helmet layed there copping all the damage.
    I spose this is what makes this helmet such a good talking point and shows how feirce the fighting must of been.
    So happy to have this in my collection

- - Updated - -

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The book you really need to buy for a complete History of the Narva fighting is Tragedy of the Faithful by Wilhelm Tieke it's the bible for these Battles. The Narva fighting went on for nearly 9 months and featured primarily SS Units of III SS Panzerkorps but also many veteran ArmeeGruppe Nord Divisons of the Heer , 11 ID ,61 ID,170 ID , 225ID,227 ID etc. If you search through this section you will find quite a few threads about mine and other diggers expeditions into the Auwere Bridgehead and other areas of the Narva Front !!

Cheers

Paul

Was the lid from RussianHeritage ?
    Excellent, thankyou for this information, i will start searching

Hi Mark, nice lid. I think the others have summed it up well in regards to what happened to this one. Certainly tells a story and has heaps of character. Looks nice and solid so will be around for a long while still. Beware, relic collecting can become an addiction!

Good to see another collector from Perth as well! (Looked at your flickr Pictures)

Cheers
    Jason

Hi Jason Glad to see another Perth guy. Yeah i think the addiction bug had bitten me. Not sure how much i can afford as my big hobby (Photography) cost me so much money haha.
    Funny/spooky think happend when this helmet arrived, my girlfreind rang me at work to tell me that a "box" arrived. She said " There is someting freaky about this box and felt freeked out about it" She had know idea what i had bought. This amaised me and as soon as i showed her, she was freaked right out. Dont blame her really but its hitory and all the people i have shown at work etc think its a relly great peice and shows what all sides in wars go though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast