Quote by Normandydoc View Post
Hi BlackCat1982
Nice to hear you again.
Because US troops were in the UK up to a year I think this could be why I have found a British coin.But do not know if a 1912 sixpence is being used in the UK during the 1940's?.Also I would not imagine a 1855 French coin would still be French tender during the 1940s in France.
These are the loose ends I am trying to tie up to explain what I have come across.
When you say you have found English coins on sites ,are these in France.I would imagine if I was going away to fight overseas in the 1940s I would not be carrying English money from home.Surely you would not want to carry this around unless you are able to trade with it.
As Watchdog has explained the English silver sixpence was still legal tender and was possibly lost by s soldier, older French coins etc could have been dropped/lost. A piece of agricultural land may have been worked, ploughed, fought over for many years and things get lost.

Try to locate aerial pictures of your field from 1944 and this might give you locations to dig in. Bomb Craters got filled with trash, as did edges of fields. If the US Army had a CP in your field there will be relics to find for sure.