Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

new airfield dump discovered

Article about: after a whole day exploring around the airfield and falling into some big sting nettles i found what i was looking for, and it was worth it. only spent half an hour on the dump looking for s

Default new airfield dump discovered

after a whole day exploring around the airfield and falling into some big sting nettles i found what i was looking for, and it was worth it. only spent half an hour on the dump looking for surface finds so heres what i got. not sure on everything like the vavles they look to small for a merlin, and the round disc with 'to windward' on it. also the head gasket with 6 cyclinders?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new airfield dump discovered   new airfield dump discovered  

new airfield dump discovered   new airfield dump discovered  

?

Default Re: new airfield dump discovered

The disc is the top of a Glim lamp (portable airfield lighting)
    The straight six sidevalve head gasket, hmmm, might be off a Dodge. Looks the right pattern.
    The valves are most likely off a truck or car, the slot is for grinding them in.
    Last photo, that's a bottom loop off a pair of trouser braces.

cheers paul, thats very helpful, i wish that exhaust manifold was whole!

new airfield dump discoverednew airfield dump discoveredPictures of my airfield "GLIM" lamp showing you where the windward piece you found is located. John.

Hey Chopper

Some nice finds

Your second photo shows Merlin engine exhaust stub gaskets. Go easy with them as the material in between the brass is almost pure asbestos. Fourth picture is a Merlin engine exhaust stub. Well, the remains of one at least

Picture beneath the glim lamp cover (nice find BTW), are Merlin engine mounting pads. They fit between the engine and the framework of the engine mount. These are also asbestos, but a composite that makes them retain their shape. Not overly dangerous but I wouldn't lick them or chop them in half with a band saw

Penultimate picture is a locking washer from Merlin engine exhaust stubs. It fits across two stubs, (hence the shape), and the 'teeth' are bent upwards to keep the nut from undoing.

Hope that helps

Steve T

its great to see your efforts have paid off! not only have you located the dump,sometimes a task in itself,but youve found some really super finds.well done i hope to see much more in the future
    Simon
    ps. great pics and the informative replies make this a really interesting thread. thanks all

Picture 10 = 10B/xxx Radio (Wireless and Radar) Aerial and Mast Equipment and Insulators
    Picture 9 = 10F/xxx Radio (Wireless and Radar) Starters and Switch Gear