Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

new airfield dump found

Article about: Thanks Steve

Default Re: new airfield dump found

Icecreamrelics !!!!! HAHAHA!

i had a look around the airfield today,only an hour, thought id share with you what i found.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new airfield dump found  

All those spent bullets make me think you've stumbled on the base range. Nice 20mm case

Does the spoon have any markings on it ?

Steve T

Well done matey, Im also interested to know if the spoon has markings? also you should check those pieces of alloy they could having markings

John

Hi Steve, i think you could be right about the range ,i was thinking,perhaps because of the proximity of the bullets to the aicraft plinths,could it have been the aircrafts .303's that were being tested? also that was my first 20mm iv found
    20MM - BBC 1941 (Steve?)
    .303 - GB 1941 VII Greenwood & Batley Ltd, Uk

John, the aluminium iv found before,but the one on the left has green paint on it,thats a first! i'll try and give them a clean and see if there are any markings on them.
    That spoon is stamped E.P.N.S.A 51 ellectro plated nickel silver?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new airfield dump found  

You had to pick a difficult one didn't you !

BBC = Bridgeport Brass Co., Bridgeport, CT (who exported large quantities of cases to the UK during WW 2)

or

BBC = Barking Brassware Co, Barking, Essex

Now the theory goes that the American manufactured ones would always have a 4 digit date code, whereas the British ones would have a two digit code. However, this particular headstamp is up for discussion as different people think different things. Personally I think it is the American manufacturer (Bridgeport), but would accept it as the much smaller British manufactuer as well if my arm was bent !

In short, it's a 20mm from one of those two manufacturers.

Next time you find a cartridge, can you make sure it has a unique headstamp please

Steve T

PS The cutlery hasn't got a WD arrow on it anywhere ?

Thanks Steve,helpful as ever no WD arrows im afraid maybe next time

?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    BBC = Bridgeport Brass Co., Bridgeport, CT (who exported large quantities of cases to the UK during WW 2)
    or
    BBC = Barking Brassware Co, Barking, Essex

Now the theory goes that the American manufactured ones would always have a 4 digit date code, whereas the British ones would have a two digit code. However, this particular headstamp is up for discussion as different people think different things. Personally I think it is the American manufacturer (Bridgeport), but would accept it as the much smaller British manufactuer as well if my arm was bent !

In short, it's a 20mm from one of those two manufacturers.
    Most of the US-made 20mm cases (various manufacturers) I have have the primer fixed by 3-5 indentations, similar to those seen on .50 cal cases, whereas none of my British-made ones do and are simply pressed into place.

Perhaps this is a way to tell the two BBCs apart?

PB

Hmmmm......a nice idea PB. When I move house in 4 weeks I'll check mine. All my relics are packed away at the minute and the mrs will go made if I unpack them 'to check something'

Steve T

?

The white egg shaped plastic item is an insulator used in long wire antennas. I have used them in my Amateur Radio antennas but I think they may also have been used on aircraft antennas. I have seen them made of glass and plastic with the older ones being glass.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast