Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new guy that need some help !

Article about: Allied aircraft ground strafing probably. Typhoon....spitfire.....P38.....anything like that. Steve T

Question new guy that need some help !

A friend of me just bought a metaldetector so we decided to give it a try on a ww2 battlefield in holland. We found pretty mutch for a first time a bullit, jerrycan some top of a ammocrate or something a cooking pan loads of fragments.
    We also found something that we would love to have indentefied
    got some pic of it
    looks like its made of 2 materials and theres a tiny hole inside the tube its about 3 a 4 mm wide
    i sandblasted it dunno if thats a good way to clean im kinda noob with this ,tips and tricks are welcome
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new guy that need some help !   new guy that need some help !  

new guy that need some help !   new guy that need some help !  

?

Default Re: new guy that need some help !

Cant identify the object Im afraid but I would suggest you be very careful when you recover something from a battlefield then try to clean it when you dont know what it is

Sure Lew07 i Will
    Thx

looks like a muzzle brake off the end of a barrel........

It looks to me like a 20mm round with the nose cap removed.

As has been said already, please be careful on old battlefields. You need a LOT of experience in identifying items before you can search them safely. If you're in any doubt about an item you dig up, leave it alone !!! No relic is worth your fingers, hand, arm or life

Steve T

Looks a lot like what I have.

Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new guy that need some help !   new guy that need some help !  

Hi
    i found something very similar to that in normandy, and thought it was a round of some sort.
    but when cleaned it turned out to be the rotation handle from an A.A gun that was blown off the weapon. your,s is not a round as the end has been crimped over the washer type piece as mine was. hope this helps.
    And please be very carefull when digging battlefields as there is still a lot of live stuff in the ground.
    dave,

first of all thx for all the reply's guys
    And sure i will be carefull and dont pickup stuff i dont trust

If it would be a muzzle break the bullet should travvel through it right?
    but on 2/3 of the 6 cm long object with a diameter of 18 mm it has a pass of about 2 or 3 mm.
    got some pic. of it

If it would be a 20 mm round should it be copper? its iron for sure
    its has the right diameter .

I surfed the web a bit and thought to myself maby its something from a sniperscope ?? just a mindspin

will check and try to find some info about the aa handle

And thx again all for the gr8 support

Quote by djorion View Post
    If it would be a 20 mm round should it be copper? its iron for sure
    its has the right diameter
    Only the drive band would have been brass/copper, not the whole head. The more I look at it the more convinced I am it's a badly corroded 20mm round, you can even just make out where the drive band originally sat !

Steve T

ok thx steve t
    I did some research on google and i think your right .
    would love to know what origin i could have any idea ?
    greetz dj

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast