Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Article about: Nice finds. Lovely little brass item Steve T

Default Re: New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

As Mr B has indicated your find is a telephony socket installed at crew stations on both RAF & USAAF aircraft, this connected the oxygen mask mic & flying helmet receivers into the aircraft intercom system, the USAAF type plug however was of a slightly different profile & can be seen in the pictures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..   New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..  

Hi Paul,
    I bow to your knowledge , Im amazed you have single handedly pretty much identified everything I had to offer, and not just the aero related relics but also provided fantastic info on the telephone dial. I really appreciate all this help and yet again you are right, the gauge (pic 15) does indeed fix onto the item in pic 10 perfectly. I'll post a picture tomorrow and thanks for the ID on the oxy mask and intercom connector.

Cheers Bird Dog thanks for the pictures, it's great to be able to put the connector in context with the appropriate plug, now Im hoping I'll manage to recover one of those one day.

Steve, Thanks for confirming the educated guess on the face mask, as PB confirmed its an RAF oxygen mask type E.

I think I can say I had a good selection of finds from my last visit.

All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Bird Dog, you tease us with your stick. Formation keeping from a B17? Go on, gizza look.

A whole E* Type mask for reference.

Really quite remarkable that the rubber on your example has still survived & not disintergrated despite being exposed to the elements for 65 years!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..  

?

For reference, the E* Mask has an exhalation/anti-suffocation disc on the side, which the E Type lacks.
    The strapwork on the E Type was leather, rather than the webbing used on the E*.

These and other improvements meant the E mask wasn't on issue for too long, from 1941 and virtually extinct during 1942.

PB

Hi Bird Dog
    Thanks for the picture of your mask, I can see how similar it is to mine but I noticed the exhalation disc. But as PB explained your version is an improved model on mine. I agree it is amazing that it has survived so well, the rubber is still flexible even after so long. It was lying on the surface just under the leaf mould so perhaps this saved it from being subjected to the acids and salts below ground, either way a lucky find.

As promised here are a couple of pictures of the gauge and meter unit reunited, Paul spotted they should be together

I have included a couple of horizon arms in this picture just to give an idea. Referring to plenty of pictures of gauges it seems the type that looks the most like mine is the Artificial Horizon, what do you think?

LUCKYSTRIKE

?

I can't read the inscription at the edge of the dial too clearly, but does it say something like "1008 MONIX SCALE Prov. Pat. No. 16523/31"?

PB

?

Doesn't look like any artificial horizon I have come across - Looks more like some form of radio tuning dial IMO

?

I was right - See here:

Radio Components

Hi Paul
    Sadly I cant read it either but what I'll do is take a very close up picture then blow it up to see what is says, Its definately of the same style as posted by NickW.
    Thank you for all your help.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast