Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Article about: Nice finds. Lovely little brass item Steve T

?

Default Re: New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Just a thought and i might be talking from an unmentionable orifice, but could that "radome" be the permanent blister cover from a Catalina, i was under the impression that some were fitted when the aircraft was being used for transport purposes

Hi Nick,
    Thanks for the ID on the carzie lid there's also a toilet seat that goes with it both bakelite. I thought the seat unusual because its circular rather than oval and also quite thin not the place to sit for too long. I suppose shaped to fit a buckett and thin keeps the weight down.
    Of course now you told me it's a period aero relic I'm going to have to rescue it next time I go (oops no pun intended)
    It'll need another smuggling job to get it home, without it it'll never get past my wife
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I've just found this interesting picture of a Lancaster bomber showing its Elsan toilet at the rear of the plane near the main crew door. It was fitted only for use in case of an emergency. Me thinks with an uncomfortable seat, the freezing air temperatures and no where to put your portable oxy bottle it's definitely not a place to relax and have a 'read'
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Well done with the In ground shots very nice. I've never seen a NAFFI bowl before. The picture of the engine made me jump i thought it was a real hand at first . I can't belive you found another (bit) Helmet, did you keep it?

John

Quote by davejb View Post
    Just a thought and i might be talking from an unmentionable orifice, but could that "radome" be the permanent blister cover from a Catalina, i was under the impression that some were fitted when the aircraft was being used for transport purposes
    oooh nice one! Just had a butchers at Wiki + others. Not a bad fit going by the scale provided. That's along the Fleet Air Arm path again.

Martyn.

Here are the first of my cleaned finds.

I like this RAF badge in it's relic condition, which reflects its age and it's history have spent at least 65 years buried.

Next is aA gauge surround made of an early plastic possibly bakelite, it#s marked OS 2000 do you know what this could stand for? below it is the first Merlin engine exhaust stub washer to be found at this site

I find this item very interesting, it's some sort of control panel perhaps from an emergency transmitter? It's marked MAY DAY CANARY, do you have any ideas what this could be?

A few bottles were found but I didn't keep many but I liked this early wide neck half pint milk bottle, this style could even pre date WW2.

Next is a mixed selection, to the top left is a badly corroded aero alloy bracket, below is a strange lid type item. On the right top is a plasticised wooden item which I have no idea what it is?. The alloy disc is sadly unmarked.

Next up are various unidentified items including a marked junction box which will be shown in detail in my next post to follow this.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Here's the small Air Ministry marked junction box, 5C code.

Next is an interesting gauge with a scale marked around the edge, the underside shows a precision cog wheel? It is 3 inches across.

Perhaps this is a counter weight?, it's precisely made of a brass like metal notice the nicely machined tappered edges. Any ideas?

Another nice find a three faced gauge marked Fuel and Gallons I'm assuming it's from an aircraft?. When found I could see no details at all not even the holes for the hands in the face. I had to clean this very carefully to not damage what remained of the markings.

Next up is what I originally thought was a hand torch, but as you can see it has a braket on the side. So perhaps was used either as a mechanics head torch or an unusual style of bicycle lamp?

And the last pictures for tonight, these show the fragment of helmet found

The spring like band is actually one half of the chin strap, it looks uncomfortable so perhaps it was covered in cloth when used which has rotted away underground. I've never seen a chin strap on a British helmet like this before, very unusual.

Thank you for any help.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Love that fuel dial LS. Very nice

Steve T

Can you make out what the numbers are at the bottom of the
    fuel gauge?
    ???FG might be able to ID it.
    Nice items.
    Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I can make them out they are 781 FG and below that 588 E2. It'll be great if you manage to id what it came from.

All the best

LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast