Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base

Article about: WOW! WOW! WOW! That plate is an amzing find! Well done with the tags and all the other bits ! Keep us updated John

Default Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base

Hi everyone we were back out in the brambles again yesterday and boy was it worth it. This is a scan of the data plate i found. There were allso some dogtags and other bits and bobs i will post soon. Please comment and let me know what you think.Thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base  

Default Re: Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base

This is a better photo of it with the dog tags that came up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base   Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base  

Can any of you help with these?? They came out of the same hole as the rest of yesterdays finds so must be USAAF.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base   Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base  

Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base   Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base  

A few more pictures. The gun grease tub is really nice! Iv never seen one before and this ones still full (so small). The flying helmet receivers and plug are really good aswell as is the cap badge.

Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base   Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base  

Norden bombsight data plate from 8th airforce base  

?

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Can any of you help with these?? They came out of the same hole as the rest of yesterdays finds so must be USAAF.
    They mounted on top of the Stabilizer part of the Norden bombsight:

http://www.twinbeech.com/images/bomb...lays%20021.jpg

http://www.glennsmuseum.com/bombsigh...orden_full.jpg

All the best,
    PB

Thats really really good!! Thankyou so much for that. Looks like iv got to go back to the same place maybe the rest of its down there somewhere.

Great finds Andy, very jealous, I'm still decorating at the moment having moved house, don't even know where my detector is!

I hope you are able to find more parts. The big knob assembly is from a C-1 stabilizer for an M-9 Bombsight. If there is not a bolt thru the end of the lever (and it doesnt look like there is) then that part may be a replacement part, thats just how they came in the box just the way you see it there. The dataplate is most likely from the M-9 Bombsight itself. The plate was riveted in two places to an aluminum plate about 3 mm larger than the dataplate and was held onto the bombsight with two screws. It is surprising that you found the dataplate without the rivets or remnants of the aluminum plate attached. If you find any other items in that area that may be bombsight related, let me know. I have restored over a hundred of them and the associated stabilizers. I have here a link to some images I have online of bombsights, aircraft and similar things I have been associated with over the years that may be helpful for identifying items from WW2.
    Aircraft, Aviation and more pictures, photos, and videos, from aviation on webshots
    Denny
    Last edited by tenacious101010; 01-04-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added link and info

?

You've done some interesting stuff, Denny! Will take a while to work through your pics. On the Norden side, how do get that black crinkle effect with paint? often wondered. I've got a very ropey Norden that needs some tlc.

The paint is a black wrinkle finish. The paint can be purchased at some automotive places and online in a handy spray can. Be sure the surface is clean, read and follow the instructions on the can. In the US, Krylon makes it, there are a few other brands out there too.
    Good Luck,
    Denny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast