Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Normandy - a few new finds

Article about: From Swords to Plough shears.... Love the saddle drum. Cheers, Ade.

Default Normandy - a few new finds

I was in France a few weeks ago and managed to get a quick bit of detecting in Normandy on the way home (with land owners permission of course).
    Best find was the saddle drum (empty) and also found a cloverleaf cap for mortar shell container plus packing rings and clips, and a couple of knackered artillery shell cases, I believe one German and one US. Sandle drum has come up quite well after some electrolysis, but the cloverleaf cap looks to be all rust and mud and would probably disappear to nothing if treated in any way so is going to stay as it is.

Also found that strange pice of steel, which is 4" x 3.5" and 0.5"" thick, with hole through the middle. It looks like a lid or hatch as it has tapered sides - anyone any clues if it is military or maybe off a French tractor

Normandy - a few new findsNormandy - a few new findsNormandy - a few new findsNormandy - a few new finds.

Default Re: Normandy - a few new finds

That saddle drum is gorgeous, great find!

DM

Agreed, That drum is a beauty.

?

Agreed. Fantastic find. Always liked the saddle drums. Congrats.

?

I think that metal piece could be a signalling mirror

thanks - I was chuffed. It is actually the second saddle drum I have found in Normandy, the first still had 55 rounds on board! These were removed and deactivated.

As far as the mystery piece of metal is concerned, it weighs about 1.5 lbs so possibly a bit bulky for a mirror - I wouldn't fancy lugging that round with me. It does appear that it supposed to fit into an aperture and perhaps be fixed by a bolt through the hole...

Normandy - a few new finds

That is awesome! TWO!!! grrr. I want to dig one!

The mystery plate with the tapered edges is a bolt on piece of a plough shear. They are replaced on a regular basis due to soil wear/loss and normally fixed with a counter sunk pin for ease of replacement when worn out or sheared off.

Regards Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Oh Ned ,you've spoilt my fun, i thought i was being so clever as well

Quote by big ned View Post
    The mystery plate with the tapered edges is a bolt on piece of a plough shear. They are replaced on a regular basis due to soil wear/loss and normally fixed with a counter sunk pin for ease of replacement when worn out or sheared off.

Regards Ned.
    Thanks Ned - bit agricultural then!! Oh well, it can go in with the pile of horsehoses and bull nose rings that I also found - might be a market for them one day..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast