Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Normandy found.. Armour Relics?

Article about: I've rearranged my loft recently and have located a couple of interesting relics again. These were originally found 10 years ago and I thought you might like to see them. Perhaps you can hel

Default Normandy found.. Armour Relics?

I've rearranged my loft recently and have located a couple of interesting relics again. These were originally found 10 years ago and I thought you might like to see them. Perhaps you can help to identify them?

The first is some sort of armoured vehicle control column/hand brake?, it still retains much of the original white paint. I always believe it came from a German vehicle being white painted, but preparing it today to photograh I noticed it has a serial number GM 6011 4
    followed by possible 3. Does GM mean General Motors?
    This was found within 100m of the recently identified Stug (gun sight) hatch posted previously.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy found.. Armour Relics?   Normandy found.. Armour Relics?  

Normandy found.. Armour Relics?   Normandy found.. Armour Relics?  

Default Re: Normandy found.. Armour Relics?

Sadly when I try to post the next relic on the end of this thread.. My AOL keeps telling me it can't find the page and so can't open it. This has happened before. Its bad because it means I can't open any replies that I get or post a reply on this.
    I'll post the other item separately tomorrow as another thread.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I feel a right now. I've got into the thread ok!!!! I think the server must have been running slow earlier... anyway moving on quickly..

The other item is a section of explosion damaged German hatch. I like the shape of this piece like some primeval monster!!.
    Initially when found I thought perhaps scrap me had been at it with their cutting torches and then dropped it. But actually looking at the edges, they're clean snap breaks and not the vertical lines cutting torches leave and there's also no molten runs stuck to the lower edges. So I'm as certain as I can be, that this was all caused by battle/explosion damage.
    You can see that one hinge remains and at the corner opposite on the upwards bent ragged end is another bolt hole. When located the top surface had no paint traces left anywhere (perhaps burnt off) so at the time in my naivety I repainted it with the correct colours to preserve it. Luckily I can still remove this with Nitromors but for the moment I'll leave as is because its keeping the air off. The underside has not been touched because it still shows traces of the original paint.
    This was found quite close to the control column above. Could this be from a Stug?.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy found.. Armour Relics?   Normandy found.. Armour Relics?  

Hi Lucky,

One infallible check you can do to determine if the lever is German or Allied is to measure the thread using a thread gauge.These are cheap and relatively easy to find in good ironmongers. Metric, it's German, imperial, its Allied! Simples!

P.s. any unidentifiable pieces of aircraft skinning/stringers etc. can be treated the same, just measure from rivet holes centre to centre, same deal, mills=metric, inches and increments thereof=imperial.Nice little trick for a quick i.d before you start finding the real good stuff!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Big Ned.. Thanks for the advice, it seems so obvious but I hadn't thought about it. I'll get a thread gauge and check it out.
    Cheers.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi mate , my guess would be you are right with the first item , my first thoughts were handbrake lever from truck , and i think GM would be general motors , the second piece i havent the foggest , but its a neat piece to have on display , cheers Raymond

looks like part of a door perhaps for a truck or a jeep?

Luke

Hi Ironcross1 thanks yes I agree GM probably is General Motors and it could well be a handbrake, but what's confusing is why it's painted white. Usually the cabs of trucks where painted the same colour as the exterior which was usually green. White and light colours tended to be used in an enclosed space like tank or armoured vehicles to maximise the light?. Did GM make tanks or armoured cars or half tracks? It's very robust and strong perhaps too strong for a simple truck, the small remains of the cable is 6mm thick which again seems a little large for a truck but I could be wrong. Any suggestions greatly welcomed.
    Hi Uber Soldat thank you for your suggestion on the hatch/door usage. I didn't say on my original post but the skin is 10mm thick and very heavy I'm not sure a jeep or trucks skin was that thick. I think its more likely to have come from an armoured vehicle of some type. Also the original colour shown in a couple of the pictures is a matt dark yellow Dunkelgelb. So I think it is likely a German vehicle of some type, perhaps it was an engine hatch or the rear door to a vehicle. The one bolt hole on the badly damaged side measured across to the other side is 35cm so if there were two side by side it would be an aperture exceeding 70cm.
    Thanks again for your suggestions much appreciated.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

hi, i thought id share this badge with you. found on a staff car near sword beach by my grandad serving with r.e.m.e. im guessing he thought they wouldnt be needing it anymore?
    id very much appreciate any information relating to this badge please
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy found.. Armour Relics?  

Believe it or not its the German equivalent of the UK's good old AA, or in the states the tripple A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast