Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Normandy - Just Helmets...

Article about: Some more...

Default Re: Normandy - Just Helmets...

Some more...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Foxhole 3.jpg   Foxhole 10.jpg  

Foxhole 9.jpg   Foxhole 2.jpg  

Auxais1.jpg   Auxais2.jpg  

Fork.jpg   Shrapnel damage.jpg  

Mess tins.jpg   Toothpaste.jpg  

Last one for now... M35 SS with shrapnel damage, British Sector Summer 2009.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Helmet, Brit Sector 2009.jpg   M35 Helmet 1st SS LAH 2 .jpg  

M35 bullet damage.jpg   loadsa .30cal.jpg  

Now that's dedication! Thanks for the new pictures Steve.
    Last time I used a detector was coastal, came up with a 25lb practice bomb. Didn't get to keep it but the police did!

Keep 'em going mate!

Martyn.

Auvers
    ?

Steve: thanks for all that. Most of that applies to our CW digging in the U.S., with the exception that the vets are all gone. Good landowner relations is at a high premium here too. Great relics, and thanks for showing them. - jc

?

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Thanks again folks. I am scared to death of explosives, having seen what they do a few times.

I would immediately stop digging if I saw any ordnance at the end of my spade. I am glad that the Russsian guys who post here know how to handle this stuff with confidence and I hope nobody ever gets hurt.

I am not willing to gamble life or limb on any of this. I am just hoping to get in on a dig some day in a nice battlefield and fulfilling my fantasy of finding a nice SS helmet. Maybe never, but a guy is allowed to dream.

In the 70's, I was just a broke paratrooper on REFORGER NATO exercises in Germany and was offered a really nice double decal M35 SS which I know was not a forgery. Unfortunately, I could not scrounge up the cash to pay for it and the local German farmer walked away. It was only 200 dollars and 4 cartons of Marlboros. I still kick myself for not having saved up for this eventuality. That lid was absolutely mint and original and I knew that it was hidden away prior to 1945. It is the kind of dream we all have as collectors.

I digress. My respects to those of you who know how to recognize ordnance. I only want to go and dig up some stuff in Karelia or the Baltic states. Just a couple of items will make the trip and cost worthwhile. I have a nephew living in St. Petersgurg for the last ten years and his Russian wiife told me to be wary of guys offering to take me on digs. I think she has not met the likes of the guys who post here. These are really top-grade amateur archaeologists as well as historians and weapons and mil-nomencalture experts. I hope to get there next year and spend a few evenings sharing some drinks with a couple fo our esteemed excavators.

There are now many well known and trustworthy diggers in Russia and the Baltics , it isn't a problem if you know the right people
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Nice finds Steve , what part of the British sector ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul,

Sorry to be vague, but not far from Caen.

Steve

This one a few months ago, between Perriers and Carentan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 on the surface!!!!!!!3.jpg  

nice oen steve il take that over a perrier any day of the week

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast