Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Normandy relics

Article about: Many Thanks for the replys, i will make the resturant a definate lunch stop.

Rick
    ?

Default Re: Normandy relics

Many Thanks for the replys, i will make the resturant a definate lunch stop.

FcsaUK
    ?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    I just thought i'd clear up the discussion on the use of a metal detector in France.

The use of a detector is illegal in all areas of France without the direct written permission of the local government office. Having the land owners permission makes NO DIFFERENCE. Without the correct paperwork from the local government, you will be liable to a heavy fine, a couple of weeks in jail, your equipment AND CAR confiscated.....generally very bad news. Don't do it !

Permission to use a metal detector is only usually granted to official 'digs' and is rarely granted to individuals out relic hunting.

Beaches, however, are an entirely different matter. There is a misconception that the law relates to the specific use of a metal detector. This is true in some areas but most documents only refer to the digging up of relics.....not how you find where to dig. This also impacts on field walking as, in theory, if you see the muzzle of a relic weapon poking out the ground, it is actually illegal to dig the earth up around the relic to retrieve the rest of it. Because of this slight quirk, it would prove impossible to apply the same law to a beach. If it did apply, you wouldn't be able to make sandcastles, dig holes or even shift the sand.

As a consequence, there is NO LAW in France (or any country that i am aware of) preventing the use of metal detectors on a beach. I have been to all the Normandy landing beaches with a metal detector and never encountered any problems (apart from on one occasions when a couple of Americans took objection to me searching Utah beach but then changed their tune when i gave them a couple of spent cases !).

So....don't search the land in France because they are VERY keen on prosecuting MDers. However, dig to your hearts content on the beach.

Hope this clears it up for everyone.

relichunter
    Hello all,

Apologies for bringing up an old post, but can someone confirm that there are still no laws in France that prohibit the use of a metal detector on a French beach (assuming the site isn’t marked as an archaeological site)? I'll be making my 3rd visit to the Gironde estuary next month, a good stretch of beach lies in front of a several German gunkers and AA emplacements. Never brought the detector before as I assumed it would be confiscated.
    Cheers,
    Chris

leelad03
    ?

i am also wanting to find this out, in the future maybe next year i will have a metal detector and would love to go over to france! Also does anyone know ho i could get to france to utar or omaha beaches?
    Thanks

The law is still the same as far as I am aware.

Steve T

iam from romania i live in denmark because i have danish wife i dig near hirtshals bunkers DANMARK i find one helmet and many interesting thinks 3 marine dogtags boutles many ...surprise all areea is museum but on the entrance of the complex bunkers... write ....be carefull your trip it is oun risk ...i dig morning 4 oclock and on the mitnight because i dont want people to look at me ....also police visit to me and take all the bullet and athe inert amunition but no anoteher things ..sory my english is bad ...IN romania YOU MUST HAVE PERMIT FROM POLICE NO PERMIT NO DIG ..there is also some battelfield there is a place call OARBA DE MURES 10.000die in this place i hope next year to go to dig takes a lot of time to make documents thats because black arheologie mafia takes many gold from the mountines from the ancient people call DACII ...iam interesting the low in LITUANIA RUSIA

?

Quote by stalingradshadow View Post
    iam from romania i live in denmark because i have danish wife i dig near hirtshals bunkers DANMARK i find one helmet and many interesting thinks 3 marine dogtags boutles many ...surprise all areea is museum but on the entrance of the complex bunkers... write ....be carefull your trip it is oun risk ...i dig morning 4 oclock and on the mitnight because i dont want people to look at me ....also police visit to me and take all the bullet and athe inert amunition but no anoteher things ..sory my english is bad ...IN romania YOU MUST HAVE PERMIT FROM POLICE NO PERMIT NO DIG ..there is also some battelfield there is a place call OARBA DE MURES 10.000die in this place i hope next year to go to dig takes a lot of time to make documents thats because black arheologie mafia takes many gold from the mountines from the ancient people call DACII ...iam interesting the low in LITUANIA RUSIA
    Not sure about the exact laws in Denmark regarding metal detecting but by your post i take it you are digging illegally which is something that we cannot condone on this forum . In the UK someone who digs illegally in the middle of the night to avoid detection is known as a Night Hawk. Can i suggest that if you are going to dig you do it within the laws of Denmark,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by ahrtal View Post
    Along Utah Beach (Ste Marie du Mont) there is a restaurant "Le Roosevelt" that is part of an old German bunker . There are artifacts for sale in the gift shop in the restaurant. I'm sure you might find some relics there.

Steve
    the reastaurant is well worth a visit particularly if you like mussels in wine sauce but fo militaria you might be better trying the shop in St Marie Du Mont called boutique Holdy or Static Line in St Mere Eglise but dont expect too many bargains as they charge a premium for location
    Nigel

How about searching on the beach at Dunkirk? I saw a documentary on British TV this year were a group used detectors on the beach there. They said they were granted special permission....

Halooo i dig also in during the day but someone see you discover something next day there will be a 20 guys with a metal detector ...be carefull wats you said man iam realy angry i goo to police couple of time with full bullet and diliver ....in the midle of the night in summer is like in during the day no dark and turist also it is on the bunkers ...iam not interesting to people watch on me i dont like buy the way the low it is ok in denmark and police from my city knows about mee ...maby look at the guy hoo dig in gumrak this is ilegal to discover remains on the soldier also i see dogtags from my gradfather ROMANIAN division ...this mafia is in russia not in denmark YOU WANT A PICTURE WITH ME AND DISCOVER IN DURING THE DAY ALSO TOGHEDER WITH MY WIFE this is the first low on metal detecting said STAY AWAY FROM THE KURIOUS PEOPLE ...DO YOU THINK IAM ONLY ONE HOO DIG IN DENMARK HA HA HA HA HA IAM SMART AND I KNOW ALL THE FIELD IN MY AREEA ...i was on the public park 2 weeks ago i find a piece of germandogtag ss 30 people watch on me ..i realy dont like whay many picture hoo my i see on some topic i dont see the face of the diggers in special people hoo dig in russia do you think iam stupid to loose my detector from 2000euro
    Last edited by stalingradshadow; 07-22-2011 at 11:06 AM.

?

As long as you are digging within the relevant laws !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast