Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Normandy relics

Article about: Many Thanks for the replys, i will make the resturant a definate lunch stop.

mick binnersley
    ?

Default Normandy relics

This is my first post so please excuse any mistakes. I will post just one collective photo of items I found in Normandy June 2008, if this works ok Ill add more photos soon.

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy relics  

Thumbs up Re: Normandy relics

Hi Mick

Welcome to the forum, these look great. How did you find them, are they surface finds or did you use a metal detector?

Greetz

Nick VR

?

Default Re: Normandy relics

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    mick i can o imagine your face when you found that helmet, do the french guys say anything to you when detecting on the beach?
    One is allowed to metal detect on the beach????!!!! i was on Utah an Omaha Beaches in September, but didn't bring over my metal detector because I assumed it was not allowed. That was probably my first and last trip to Normandy.

Couldn't really afford any of the stuff at the shops, although I did see a nice Waffen-SS helmet in a shop in St. Mer Eglise. It looked good, but I believe it was priced at 7000,00 EURO. A bit much for my blood. I'll have to be happy with my one SS helmet. Don't know where it saw action.

Steve Z.

?

Detecting in France is frowned upon unless you have a landowners permission, if you take the chance and get caught by the Gendarmes then you find out they haven't got much of a sense of humour

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

mick binnersley
    ?

Some more pictures of my finds. Everything here was found in fields or hedges around Cherbourg and Sainte-Mère-Église, I kind of assumed the beaches would be well searched by now. Im Lucky to have Friends near Cherbourg so was granted permission to search on some land. 2008 was the first year in 4 visiting the beeches and museums that I took a metal detector, the helmet was my third find after some shell casings. The helmet was about 50cm deep in the middle of a hedgerow and still has the leather liner, the water bottle was about 3m away and was partially exposed, but after further digging around the area I found the bottles cap, a gas mask lens, various clips and buckles and very interestingly a bullet that exactly fits a groove on the top side of the bottle.
    Hope the pics load, enjoy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy relics   Normandy relics  

Normandy relics  

Very impressive you did well, to the South of Cherbourg sign posted as you drive to St Mere Eglise is Sottevast a WW2 German V weapon launch site. I'd recommend a look next time you're over.
    Happy Hunting.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Welcome aboard Mick , great finds , your lucky to have friends where you can fossic around , would love to see some pics of the lid you found , cheers Raymond

I did some looking around in the woods in and around Falaise...but I didn't have a lot of time - I think it was more a question of just wanting to be where the Germans were during the Battle of the Falaise pocket. I tried to put myself in their shoes....they must have been terrified. That said - I poked around (no metal detector) but I didn't find anything. (I also just entered the woods - didn't ask anyone for permission / oops!)

Hey - great items! I would have loved to find anything - you got quite the haul!

Rob

?

Rob,

Have walked many areas of the Normandy Battlefield particulary the Pocket and others in France , have never had any problems from the French farmers / landowners they are generally quite helpful or just ignore you as they are used to Brits wandering about the place , they only get very upset if you are detecting and then digging up there land without permission which is understandable.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Yes....I didn't do any digging - just wandering. I could see them getting upset if people dig up the land. Good to know!

Cheers!

Rob

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast