Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Objects found in WWII trenches, need identification

Article about: Here are some strange things found in deep Eastern European forrests near the border with what used to be Prussia. In 1944 some heavy battles rocked the area, and you can find plenty of tren

?

Default Objects found in WWII trenches, need identification

Here are some strange things found in deep Eastern European forrests near the border with what used to be Prussia. In 1944 some heavy battles rocked the area, and you can find plenty of trenches. Unfortunately, soil is not metal-friendly, so, most things are really badly damaged.

Three following objects were found in a system of (probably) german trenches, along with some remains of exploaded anti-personell mines, one unexploaded 76 mm. shell, some old inch thick cable, and tons of shrapnel.

First one looks a lot like a fragment of oversized magazine, it is made of 1 mm. thick corrugated metal sheet, bent in half. Remains of metal box? Maybe.

Objects found in WWII trenches, need identificationObjects found in WWII trenches, need identificationObjects found in WWII trenches, need identification

Second is more interesting. Tube, also made of corrugated metal sheet (different pattern, though), like a big cup without bottom. I have no idea what it could be used for.

Objects found in WWII trenches, need identificationObjects found in WWII trenches, need identificationObjects found in WWII trenches, need identification

Third is similar to second, but with loose ends.

Objects found in WWII trenches, need identificationObjects found in WWII trenches, need identification

Last one is the most interesting.
    Found in a system of (i believe) soviet trenches/artillery positions. There is something like a defensive position for T-34's (a line of pits broad enough to drive in and deep enough so only a turrent can stick out, all in a slight curve, one each 20-30 m, and sometimes separated by trenches with lots of rusty wires and nails all around), pointed at German positions. Old road connects them, and on that road - i suppose - a truck was blown up. There is an area of like 100 square meters filled with fragments of twisted tin (sometimes with screws attached) and some broken glass. Also there were some tools (a pair of different pliers and a wrench), fragment of enamelled metal cup, and two 7.62×25mm Tokarev rouds. And this:

It is made of aluminium, partly colored in black, roughly 4x7x63 mm. Could it be a part of an uniform? Fragment of some decoration? Frame? Damn.

I know that these objects are not really interesting, but it would be really nice if some one could identify them, or at least suggest what they could be used for.

Default Re: Objects found in WWII trenches, need identification

The circular item looks like the remains of the top bit of a Russian grenade, Im no expert though but we find loads of them on our digs.

Top one might be part of a plane.

?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Objects found in WWII trenches, need identification   Objects found in WWII trenches, need identification  

?

F35, thank you! Several hours ago I saw those in one of yout posts, you called them Kwk ammo tubes. May I ask, waht calibur? 8.8?

?

This is set from Kwk40 - 75mm.