Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off to Falaise on Sunday

Article about: Hi all This is my first thread here, looks like a pretty usefull site so far Anyway, i managed to book a last minute deal to nip across to Falaise for a week with my metal detector, however

Irvin
    ?

Default Off to Falaise on Sunday

Hi all

This is my first thread here, looks like a pretty usefull site so far Anyway, i managed to book a last minute deal to nip across to Falaise for a week with my metal detector, however although my history is pretty good the closest i've been to metal detecting is helping a guy i met near utah beach a year ago. I had a spare week and i've always wanted to have a go so though why not I've ordered a x-terra 50. I think i have some clue as to what to look for at ground level, and i do most definatly have the good sence to leave anything explosive where it is.

So my question really is, does anyone have any tips, and in particular has anyone here done the woods/forests around the area i.e NE of Argentan, NW or Falaise... well there are loads.

Thanks in advance

Irvin

?

Default Re: Off to Falaise on Sunday

Irvin,

My biggest tip is don't get caught by the Gendarmes as you'll end up and jail and they haven't got a sense of humour !!

Metal detecting and digging without permission is not allowed in France,

regards

Pau;l
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Irvin
    ?

Ah right, i thought it was mainly places like the Somme that'll get you banged up? I looked around about the law and yes your right but as long as i'm not on the road side or in view do they still see it as a big deal you think? I guess it depends on how busy a forest is, i'm not likely to be getting my gear out with anyone about

Irvin

Irvin
    ?

Sorry to pester but how does everyone else go about there detecting? Do you all try for permission or just keep your head down? Is it just france that's particulaly bad?

?

If you have permission from a landowner you are ok , if not you take your chance.

If they see you anywhere you can expect a visit !!

In my experience in France the farmers don't mind you Battlefield walking but if you start digging up their fields etc !!!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Irvin
    ?

What about forests? Do you think it's just too risky? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to invade anyones land, just look around and try my hand at detecting. The falaise pocket is one of the battles i'm particulaly interested in. Thought this would be a worthy way to spend a free week while my other half is sunning her self in spain

I do appreciate your advise btw

Irvin

Irvin
    ?

Gah, i'm really starting to wonder if this is going to be worth it? I've been looking round the web and although not many hits on the law what ever i've seen makes me think they'll string me up if i do anything but walk about with my hands in my pockets!
    I'm not one to break the law or take too many chances so am i wasting my time thinking about this?

Thanks in advance

Irvin

Irvin

The French do NOT like you digging up the countryside and there are strict laws against it and the use of metal detectors. You need written permission from the local 'state governor' .... having the landowners permission means diddly i am afraid. The police are very hot around Falaise as it attracts a lot of unwary relic hunters. Many wish they hadn't bothered.

However.....do not fret.....all is not lost !! There most certainly is a strict law on searching the land BUT there is no law preventing you from searching the beaches. I have been to Normandy on 5 seperate occasions now and never fail to come home with a big haul of stuff. The best places to go are Omaha beach in the dunes behind the beach (may be classed as the land but it is sand so i think....sod it ! Some of the Yanks can get a bit tetchy but most are ok) particularly about 2 miles east of Vierville.

The beach about a mile east of Arrowmanches has yielded excellent finds as well. Do some research....find out exact spots where major fighting took place to get off the beach and search it.

Research AND the beach are the keys !

Happy hunting.....and if you need any direction gimme a shout. I can mark a few places on google earth for you.

Relichunter

hudsonswhistle
    ?

Its simple mate don't do it,if you get caught they will fine you heavily, confiscate your car and worse still you'll get banged up, I was there this September, Police everywhere checking that you have your hi viz jackets in your car,and to be honest there isn't a lot there any more so don't bother Irvin,its not worth it mate.

Well it's been a week !

Anyone seen him around or is he currently languishing in a French jail somewhere ?

Hope he's ok

relichunter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast