Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Okinawa Battlefield site

Article about: Love this site, What a cure after a day of training in the field! I'm sitting here in the Marine Barracks on a WW2 era torpedo bomber airfield used vs. the U-boots of the Carolina coast. Any

Default Okinawa Battlefield site

Love this site,
    What a cure after a day of training in the field!
    I'm sitting here in the Marine Barracks on a WW2 era torpedo bomber airfield used vs. the U-boots of the Carolina coast. Anyways, I'm a Pacific war guy now due to my Marine travels but used to be a European collector, so these finds on this site are fantastic! For any interested parties, I have a site on found relics of the Pacific (Okinawa) at Home for interested parties.

Semper Fi,
    Master Sergeant Wilke

Default Re: Okinawa Battlefield site

Nice site there tokashi. American and Japanese items etc. don't seem to garner much interest here. There are a few who do. My Father served in the Pacific (Navy)as well as many other guy's. Still a lot of relics and collectibles out there pertaining to the War in the Pacific. Watch out for that sand!

Looking around the site, I need to look into catching a Space A flight over the EU. Do you know which ship your father served on?

Quote by tokashikibob View Post
    Looking around the site, I need to look into catching a Space A flight over the EU. Do you know which ship your father served on?
    Well, he served in the American Theater,European African Middle Eastern,Asiatic Pacific, & Philippine Liberation. He was on the SS.Fort Laramie for a time. Her sister ship was blown up along side. He was among Regular Navy personnel on board who were there to protect the 'Merchant Marines'. Stinks as far as pay$ went. The M.M. got big time pay while the Enlisted Navy got squat. And both had to ride the same wave's. There's more stuff but he really didn't talk much about it. He met his maker 2 yrs. ago this May at 84. Today (2/18)would have been his 86th birthday. As I stated on my earlier post, the PTO is not that popular on this particular forum. Most likely because the main members in charge of the forum are of European descent. Therefor, lie their interests. But....are ya having 'FUN' yet??

Godagesil
    ?

I found your site a few days ago and posted there. As my original post said, I lived on Okinawa in the mid 60's back with Ft. Buckner took up a good portion of the south central part of the island, as well as Naha and a plethora of other Army bases. This was before the end of Nam and the army pulled out. We had a house just north of Kakazu ridge and a few miles north of Machinato. I had an older friend really into collecting and he took me to Sugarloaf hill. Wasn't much to look at but there were still .30 cal ammo cans and other stuff in dugouts from the Marine assaults on the place. I remember finding spent 50 cal projectiles in the gravel along the street in Koza. Seems stuff was turning up everywhere you looked. They found 500+ mortar rounds while expanding the VFW parking lot. I never did spend as much time collecting as I wish I would have. I guess I was too young at the time.