Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One from the sea

Article about: Hello Mark, My grandad, dad and uncle all used to be fishermen. cannon balls where a daily thing during oyster season they found everything from 15,000 year old Bison horns right up to moder

Default One from the sea

Hello,

This was dreged from the Solent in the 80's by my old man and it's been in his parents granden eversince, we have never worked out what it's from. Could anybody help?

Not sure why there is a random bowl on top of it

Also cannon balls in background

Many thanks

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One from the sea  

Default Re: One from the sea

Looks like a huge mortar round.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Could it be a depth charge projectile

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Could it be a depth charge projectile
    Is that the ones they called Hedgehogs?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Possibly, but i cant remember the actual size of the projectile plus its a bit difficult judging the size by the photo

?

Possibly, but i cant remember the actual size of the projectile plus its a bit difficult judging the size by the photo
    Yes it`s too bad people cant supply some measurements when they want to know what something is.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Judging by those cannon balls, i would say your old man has been on the mud flats of Pompey harbour as well John?

It is not a Hedgehog depth charge, that is for sure. I don't think it is a depth charge at all, since the fins are like that.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Okay its possibly a projectile called a squid mortar these contained 200lbs of a new type of expolsive, that were fired from a three barrelled launcher, the depth was guaged by asdic and once set all three were fired, range of about 300yds, apparently they were more successful than the existing depth charges at that time, the hedgehog was quite a bit smaller and not very effective it had to be a direct hit or it just sank and more often than not exploded on the sea bed

Hello Dave, Sorry the old man was going to get some measurements today but he forgot hes going to do it tomorrow

Cheers

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast