Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

P-51 / P-47 collision

Article about: As promised ... below are some more pictures of relics recovered from the site of the P-51 / P-47 collision which occurred over very dense woodland close to the 353rd Fighter Group base at R

Default P-51 / P-47 collision

As promised ... below are some more pictures of relics recovered from the site of the P-51 / P-47 collision which occurred over very dense woodland close to the 353rd Fighter Group base at Raydon (Although the aircraft concerned actually came from Martlesham Heath and Boxted ... )

First is a picture of Lt. Slanker's oxygen mask & oxygen mask clip (I'm fairly sure this belonged to Slanker as it was found within the main body of P-51 debris within the woods.

Second photo shows the emergency release handle for the cockpit canopy.

The next picture shows the pitot tube (made by Kollsman) from the P-47. This aircraft was flown by Lt. Lightfoot.

The final picture shows whats left of one of the cylinders from the P-47 ...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P-51 / P-47 collision   P-51 / P-47 collision  

P-51 / P-47 collision   P-51 / P-47 collision  

Default Re: P-51 / P-47 collision

WOW !

They're some NICE finds !

If you need any help digging stuff up gimme a shout !

Steve T

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the comments ... I thought that as you'll be a bit preoccupied over the next few months I should step in and try to keep viewers happy with some nice finds ... I've been following your posts over the past year or so - especially those from a certain airfield whose name will not be mentioned!!

I've got lists of sites to investigate ... but transport is often a problem ... so yes ... if you'd ever like to combine efforts ... I sent you a pm regarding one site earlier .... but there's another site I know of which would suit both of us down to the ground ... one farm that has a German POW camp AND an American hospital ... you could keep the German finds ... I could keep the American ...

I've got lots more photos of 8th Air Force material ... I'll keep on posting them over the next few days & weeks.

All the best,
    Gremlin

?

Hello Gremlin, Interesting story. Do you perhaps know the date the accident happened? I have a good friend who flew P-47's (56th FG) out of Boxted, and wonder if he might recall the event, or perhaps even have known Lightfoot.

Regards, Petehi

Hi again Gremlin,thanks for the info on the P.51,which before your
    post ,had a somewhat vague history,the P.47M 44-21184 from
    the 56th fighter group,61st fighter squadron, shows it lost
    in the mid-air of 12 april 1945,but fails to tie in the P.51.
    Nice work.
    You mention the B24h shot down of 7-8june 1944,I will not
    mention locations.
    Is it 42-94911 or one of the other two shot down that night?
    Keep the great photos coming and if you ever get sick of the
    canopy frame or the call sign.......
    Regards Mike

?

I asked my 61sty

?

Let me try this one more time... I asked my old friend who was a P-47 pilot in the 61st FS if he recalled this accident. His reply:

"Lightfoot was born in India of missionary parents, and was a growling tough-guy. He was the Squadron Gunnery Officer. He believed all P-51 drivers were sissies and liked to test their courage. One trick he invented was to get up power with a "Spam Can" (P-51) on his wing, thumbing his nose, then pull his Jug into a loop from level flight and watch the P-51 spin out near the top. This time he met his match. The Lightfoot stories in the Officer's Club lasted about two days."

Great to be able to find the human side of the story!

Dear All,

Thanks for all the replies ... the 34th Bomb Group B-24 was actually 41-29572 ... 'Scotty' ... flown by Lt. Brain. After being abandoned the aircraft flew on for several miles and eventually crashed onto a living site at Wattisham airfield (fortunately with only one casualty on the ground). I've been searching the site after each harvest for over 20 years ... and have a HUGE collection of relics .... including many hundreds of data plates.

Attached are 2 more pictures .... the first shows a nicely preserved radio wiring plate plus 2 ceramic insulators ... And the second shows a variety of items : Oil pressure gauge, various data plates, a flying helmet earphone, a plate showing the correct loading of .50 calibre belts for one of the ammunition panniers, 2 pieces of green plastic from a GI issue torch, a plate from the aircraft's A-5 automatic pilot and a small chain (this was from a shearling flying jacket).

Anyway, these finds are the tip of a very large iceburg!

All the best,
    Gremlin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P-51 / P-47 collision   P-51 / P-47 collision  

?

Another comment from an old (of course) ex-61st FS P-47 pilot:

"Lightfoot often played 'Chicken" with them (P-51 pilots). This accident was the result of one of those head-on passes."

Hi GREMLIN,this B24H 41-29572 was not only the victim
    of II/KG51 ME410s,but also of a "typo" somewhere along
    the line.It is listed as " Scotty" ,and in other reference as
    'Glamour Girl" of the 18th BS 34BG with 3 killed and 7 bailing out
    out on 7-8June 1944.
    Anybody out there with know the answer?
    Regards Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast