Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?

Article about: Last year I was lucky enough to dig this Panzer hatch from Normandy, in the area known as the Falaise Pocket. I thought it would be an easy job to identify which vehicle it came from. But I'

Default Re: Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?

Paul E thanks for your prompt reply, it's fine I just want to get a positive ID on it from whatever it came from. The angle and type of rail is very similar to the one shown in the plan, so probably did mount a shield.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer Hatch Normandy found can you identify?  

It looks like it to me.. or something extremely similar and its quite possible that different production models variy slightly..Andy...bored to tears off the dutch coast this time...

Hi Andy.. Sorry to hear you're bored off Holland. But being positive at least you have the internet and this forum. Imagine how much worse it could be with out them! (if that helps).
    Per the hatch until I pasted the picture of the hatch onto the plan there seemed a fair bit of conjecture as to the vehicle it came off. But to me it seems a pefect fit, the shield rail and even shape of the inner hatch cover where the gun sight would be raised all seem to match. But next thing for me to do is visit museums to have a closer look at their Stugs, hoping to pop over to Bovington soon.
    All the best LUCKYSTRIKE

psaep
    ?

Hello Paul E,

Obviously I know nothing about dimensions regarding this particular part of the Stug and probably you are an expert about this "stug zone".
    On the other hand, the locks and rail really looks like something from a German AFV.
    From all the knowledge I have about WWII German AFV, I can't see this rail with 5 crews on another German AFV or Allies AFV neither.

What is your suggestion?

Kind regards

Patrick

?

Hi Patrick,

Firstly i do not profess to be an expert on the Sturmgeschutz although Sturmgeshutz related items form much of my collection.

I'm not disputing that it may be from a German AFV I just don't think it's off a Sturmgeschutz Turret. What i am working off is the original Gun sight i have , the dimemsions and angles of this piece appear to me to be far to big for the sight portal, that's my opinion
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

It's worth a look at Bovington as they have just spent a tidy sum on a new hall but make sure it's all open before you go as I am not sure if it's finished yet and you don't want to travel a fair way to see a building site..
    Andy

Hi Andy..
    Bovington is now finished I've seen a couple of reviews in magazines, looks good. I plan to visit soon and you can guess what I'll be checking out first. Hopefully I'll be able to get some photos looking down on the vehicles for comparison. I'll post when I get the shots.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Guy's ive compared the photo of your item to the photo comparison that was posted to you and ive gotta say it's not a bad match.It may even be from a more obscure vehicle like a Sig 33 or other assault gun.
    Colour is definately German ordanance tan
    Tom

Sorry Tom,

It's definately not off a sturminfanteriegeschutz 33. I'm currently researching them as regards to making a 1/16 radio controlled model, and such a hatch is not to be found i'm affraid.

Kind Regards, Ned.

Thank's Ned,
    Okay so we can rule out the Stug's.Has anyone checked the roof panel's from a Jagdpanther V as they had a similar scope hatch in the roof? I hav'nt go my model's handy but maybe worth a look as they had them in Normandy in number's Also maybe worth checking Jagdtiger and Sig.
    Tom

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast