Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please Help me ID this uniform!

Article about: This is a picture that i got in my grandpas military stuff after he died . I am trying to figure out what country the man in the middle is from any info would help! (my Grandpa is the one on

Default Please Help me ID this uniform!

This is a picture that i got in my grandpas military stuff after he died . I am trying to figure out what country the man in the middle is from any info would help! (my Grandpa is the one on the right)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please Help me ID this uniform!  

Default Re: Please Help me ID this uniform!

OOPs! that pic is kinda blurred let me try to take a better one!

There thats better! So who is the guy in the middle? (what country?)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please Help me ID this uniform!  

The jacket is a US M1941 field jacket worn over the HBT overalls and wool shirt. So he will be American.

Cheers, Ade.

ok i didn't know that my grandpa always told methat his unit worked with russian tankers so i thought maybe he was one of them

?

He could still very well be that Russian tanker. I would think that they roughly got the same clothes/equipment as the other - American - tank members.

Cheers, Jakke

btw, nice picture!

Sorry Jakke, but that info is totally incorrect. Soviet tank crews were not issued kit like that.

The only other country to be issued with US uniform were the Free French forces. But he is not French as they used their own rank insignia; he wears US Army Sgt's stripes.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks for the information, but that raises some questions for me:
    Then how did these Russians - in the US tank crew - get supplied? A russian in an American "squad" would get other supplies? I based myself on the fact that a relative of mine, who is a Belgian, fought with the Canadian 4th Armoured Division and got issued the exact same equipment/uniform as the Canadians. And there were several Belgians there, so not only him. I think that would be the most practical way of supplying the troops?

Cheers,

Jakke

Hi Jakke, no Russian (Soviet soldiers) fought with the US Army. How could they?

Foreign soldiers from the West being attached to Western Armies is a different kind of situation.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade, Theduke635 says that his grandfather's unit worked with Russian tankers. So I thought he meant that there were some Russian guys in the same crew as the Americans. Maybe we should first know how/where/when those Russians got in American Tank Crews in order to give an answer. Or do I think wrong? They don't necessarily have to be Sovjet soldiers though.

Best Regards,

Jakke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast