Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Hi Ivor
    Thanks mate for the ID, I did think the mock bullet part looked a little dodgy, because its a seperate attachment to the cartridge and therefore easy to imagine bits breaking off when fired . The thought of them getting mixed up with live ammo in poor lighting sends shivers down my spine. All I can say is Good they opted for the mock bullet removal from the blank rounds. But for me they're interesting relics probably dating to between the wars.
    LS

Hi Lucky and Nick,

It does appear that the ballast weights were generic in various types over a few years doesn't it? Here is a better photo of the placement of them on a pre war aircraft showing exactly how i tried to explain them. The aircraft is a Hawker Hart.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

At last Im able to post another batch of relic finds. Recently Ive been busy cleaning my way through the backlog of finds (at my wifes instigation ) from various sites. Much of the back log came from this airfield and I still haven't got to the bottom of the bag yet, but Im getting there. Anyway here are the first couple.

Following on from the aircraft ballast weights that I posted previously, I found this large and very heavy ingot of lead near where the ballast weights were found. As you can see in the picture one end has been hacked off, so I was wondering do you think ballast weights could have been cast at the airfields, by melting down pieces from the ingots?
    Also does anyone know what BERC could stand for? (No rude comments please) of course there could be further letters missing.

and I found another name plate probably from a mechanics tool locker.

(more pictures will follow)

LUCKYSTRIKE

Im sorry but a couple of the pictures are out of order and have appeared at the end of this post.

First up I know you shouldn't leave finds behind but I thought this steering wheel came from an old car probably post war, so I left it behind , What do you think? luckily I know where it is could it be WW2 dated. To see the picture of it after Id pulled it out please look at the end of this post. I did check it for makers marks but couldn't see any although as you can see it had a coating of dirt.

This tubular item has no markings that I can find. It has a nozzle and internally a bakelite disc with a hole through its centre about half way down. Could this be some sort of flare perhaps a parachute flare?. Picture 207 at the end of this post also shows close up of the nozzle and internal disc.

A couple of largish alloy gaskets (I think), sadly no marks found but do you have any idea what they could be off?

A piece of aero alloy, well marked (N) for Noorduyn manufacturer but I cant id the numbers could it be Harvard?

A well marked aero alloy wing nut?, the central nipple is made of brass. The outside has the remains of an orange paint covering.

A nice small alloy reel like component, its well marked but sadly I cant identify any of the markings shown?

Now I think this is probably a hub/wheel nut from a Wolvesey Car? Not sure of age but Im guessing post WW2. Be what caught me eye was it appears to have been shoot at because a bullet appears to have grazing the edge. Perhaps it was used as a target?

This is the second one of these tools Ive found, it bugs me I cant think of its use, perhaps an Armourers tool?

Another well marked piece of aero alloy, but again I cant find any reference to the numbers shown.

And last these strange shaped pieces Ive found loads of them, this is just a selection. They appear to be handles perhaps off some type of ammo box, but my research so far has not found any boxes with handles like these, do you have any idea?

Thank you for looking.

(more pictures will follow

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.   Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

Number 207/206 is a L5A4 Illuminating Parachute Flare, I don't think these were around during the Second World War, they've only recently been phased out as a matter of fact

Great finds as always

Thanks

Danny

Could this be a hydraulic pressure vessel, similar to a break drum? sadly its another unmarked relic.

A couple of heavy fuel caps, retaining traces of the original paint. Both are marked WFS Im assuming FS means Fuel Supply but any ideas what the W stands for?

Sadly badly corroded but this is some sort of alloy control lever.

A couple of pieces of very heavy cable with a very strong metal coating. Im assuming this was for the airfield power supply and is what is known as armoured cable.

Another AM marked electrical box top.

No idea what this solid peg shaped item is, the stainless steel was made of some quality because its picked up no rust even after nearly 70 years burial. Do you know what this is?

These had sat in my unidentified box for a while and then I went to a military vehicle show and saw some identical spark plugs for sale.

This aero alloy top similar in shape to an eaerosol can lid. It is well marked and quite thick so some force must have been involved to do the damage shown. It still retains much of its original paint.

Another alloy component piece marked 52A could this be from an Anson?

Ive found a few of these cross marked brass clips, this retains much of its original green paint. Could it be a clip thats broken off and discarded when a box is openned maybe an ammo box. Id love to know what this was used for?

A nice bakerlite component marked 10H for Aircraft electrical radio connectors.

and the last picture on this post, out of order it should be the first. It is a very distinctive looking large brass locking nut? Its well marked but I cant find any reference to the numbers shown.

Thank you for looking and helping with any identifications.

LUCKYSTRIKE

more pictures will follow tomorrow
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

Hi Danny,
    Thanks for the quick ID on the parachute flare, when found it was a few inches below the ground surface so had either been there a while to sink down or perhaps it was buried. I agree I also thought it was post war.
    All the best mate.
    LS

?

LS, those strange looking handle thingies, i think they are missing the wooden handle that slots into the two open ends, a bit like a toilet holder in operation

Hi Luckystrike - thanks for posting those! 209 is not Noorduyn product - I do not know what the N in a circle signifies but it is also on some of my Whitley parts. Your item has a Westland Aircraft inspectors stamp. 210 is a Dunlop product - they made aircraft wheels, brakes and control grips during the war. Your part number AHO5118 is in the wartime range. 211 is a pulley wheel from a Bristol aircaft - most likely Beaufighter or Beaufort - I have some similar ones. 214 has a Boulton Paul inspectors stamp so likely from one of their aircraft or a Boulton Paul turret. 217 is a aircraft pneumatic filter (another Dunlop part). 219 is a Bowden (ala Bowden cable) control lever - i'm sure i've seen these in Bristol aircraft. 222 Tecalmit made lubricators - what you have there is a lubricating nipple by the looks of things. 224 is another Westland Aircraft part. Hope that helps a bit! I collect this stuff (maybe you can tell) - if you ever want to part with any of it to offset your petrol costs etc. please let me know by PM.

?

Another good haul there LS. 219 can be seen well down the page here: To view our current stock of Aircraft Parts Please click the drop
    Looking forward to the next lot!
    Elliott, did you lightly spoil your trousers over the first shot of the buried control wheel?

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast