Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Here are some pics of the FAA Museum Barra cockpit. It was recovered from a bog in Northern Ireland and has been restored, although not to the standard that I'd expect from such an establishment. They've got a lot more Barra stuff in store and I think they have a very long-term intention to assemble a complete aircraft.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.   Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

Hi Paul,
    They're great your cockpit diagrams, not only to help ID finds but also show the position in relation to the Pilot, I partcularily like the sentence you pointed out stating that with the Torpedo plate in position only two switches would show. Because whilst you were posting this, I was saying the exact same thing (with photo) in reply to Ivors post.
    Hi Ian_
    Thanks for your ID of my Control lever, from your link it seems it had several different uses with different aircraft. Ive checked records and can find no mention of Blenheim's flying from the site but both Hurricanes and Spitfires did, so Im inclined to think it probably came from them to release the Pilot straps.
    Hi Ivor,
    Once again thank you for posting the lovely pictures of the Barra cockpit, its great to see them with the Pilot notes diagrams, nice to see the parts in the flesh and in position so to speak.
    I have a few more bits and bobs cleaned and will be posting pictures soon, if not tomorrow then over the weekend.
    Thanks for all the on going help.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Here are a few more of the finds.

I have no idea what this is, its made of aero alloy and has an interesting shape but I can find no marks stamped into the metal?

This relic is again made of aero alloy it appears to be the front of some sort of electronic box. There are no marks stamped into the metal but it does retain a painted sign in the centre. It shows an anchor and perhaps US? with what appears to be a propellor to the side. An interesting mark that I've not seen before.

Now Ive already found a three pinned socket which is very similar to this one and have already posted pictures earlier in this thread. That one was identified as an in aircraft power supply socket. But this one only fits two pin plugs, can you confirm if this is also an in aircraft power supply?

Ive already posted a picture of one of these that was kindly identified, but I found another and because I like them I thought I show this new recovery as well.

Another small labelled relic, I think when found I could make out the top line better as MIC - TEL

Formica made I think, do you think this was a component in its own right? it has a nice curved top as seen in the picture or do you think its just an off cut for the neatly cut discs that dont seem to a line?

This is about 1 inch across, could it be a zipper pull?, it seems quite large for that use but looks to me like one and being bigger helps to give it a good grip during use.

An interesting well preserved small steel tube with a smaller threaded head. The picture doesn't show it well but stamped around the shoulder it says. AREYROUE AND BSS 196 - 1930, any idea's?

A small piece of air frame retaining most of the paint and showing a close up of its markings.

This picture is out of order coming up last, it is a larger piece of light weight aero alloy, again with interesting marks as shown in picture below. Issue C?

If you can help with any identities of these pieces please let me know, very much appreciated. Thank you for looking.

more pictures to follow

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

Here is an Air Ministry marked bakelite gauge dial surround or perhaps for a small light.

More mixed electrical fittings, sadly out of order as the last picture, shows a close up of a couple of pieces.

A nice little bulb some of which is silvered.

A BBC 20mm cartridge, is this the US or British made BBC? How can you tell the difference?. Notice the top section has been cut off and there's also a wonky cut half way across the base. Perhaps it was being converted into a lighter?

A small control knob, the edge is textured for better grip.

I found this small trade plate in amongst the WW2 finds so its dated to that conflict, it cleaned up nicely. But any idea on use?, whats its from?

I found two of these do you have any ideas? could the reinforced alloy tubing be used for oxygen supply, each part at the end is nicely marked.

Thanks for any help.

more pictures to follow

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

?

LS, PIC 91, ive seen these somewhere before, i dont think they are zipper pulls, they are different sizes, and i think they are some sort of key, the small slit opening at the top was, i think where they were attached to a bundle, im not 100%, but they could be something like locking keys, hence the hexagonal shapes and sizes

A selection of aero fuses.

The remains of two pad locks, no marks showing.

Remains to aircraft intercom plugs.

Im pleased with this another small bomb rack information plate, with much of the original paint?

Small alloy squares with markings

Miixed selection, notice the end of a strap plate and a couple of electronic knobs.

Last picture out of order shows some sort of bracket for holding a tube like object. Retains much of the original kharki green paint.

Thats all for now thank you for any help.

LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Photo 99 is a gunsight bulb.

All the best,
    PB

?

Pic 109, are those fine tolerance spacers ?

The pipes in 103 are flexi pipes for the air speed indicator. They go in the wing fold.
    I didn't actually know this - I've looked up the part number!

Does anybody know if FM is a Fairey inspector's stamp? I've never seen it listed as such but I've seen it on a lot of parts from dump sites which could be from Fairey designed aircraft. I haven't dug a Fairey aircraft yet but we're working on finding a Battle. Hopefully this will confirm it.

The rings in picture 91 are nut lock rings. For example, once you have tightened up a particular nut on say a suspension piece and you do not want it to shift you place this ring over it and the slotted piece will align with a threaded hole into which you tighten up a bolt and this stops the ring and the nut it is on from moving. Hopt this makes sense, John.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast