Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Article about: 145 and 146 is definatly somthing to do with the weapons system as the same idea is in use today. The pilot can turn his weapon system to safe or not have all the required safety conditions

Default Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

To be honest I always prefer to locate and dig Airfield or Military rubbish dumps, but reading all the threads on metal detector finds has inspired me recently to dust mine off and have a go. I'd already carried out a fair amount of research into the area, woodland attached to a former WW2 airfield so I had an idea I'd probably find a few relics from this site. But the amount I've been recovering during short two hour visits has even surprised me and I'm someone who's used to digging concentrated amounts from the former rubbish dumps.

To give you an idea of the amount, here are just 2 hours search today. The finds had pretty much filled my rucksack after only an hours searching.

There are quite a few interesting bits in this lot so Im looking forward to cleaning them up and seeing whats there.

Just a few odds I sorted out for close up today.

A few of last weeks recoveries, the tube is aero alloy and retains traces of the blue paint. I like the Mic/Tel plate I've found a few but most have lost the print, after washing this as it dried it was fading to nothing fast so I slapped on a coat of matt varnish which stopped any further deterioration.

Today was only my third visit, so here are some of last weeks finds cleaned. Because there's a lot I've only taken group shots so if theres anything you'd like to see in more detail let me know and I'll take some close ups. I think the black alloy top left is perhaps a light frame, and the bottom item is perhaps a small hydraulic ram for something like an aileron?

There are lots of pieces of aero alloy most are marked. Could this be a fuel tank hatch and edge surround?

And of course the finds wouldn't be complete with the a few Merlin exhaust manifold gaskets and washers. I was pleased to find these here.

The last picture which is out of order shows my full rucksack after I'd hauled it back.

(more pictures to follow)

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.  

Default Re: Plenty of finds from a new site on a British Airfield.

Somemore mixed finds including a few of the fired .303 of which four were originally blanks, two flare cartridge bases, a steel tow hook, mixed electrical plugs and terminals and interestingly a lead plumb line weight.

There are lots of different Air Ministry marked electrical terminals and junctions these are just some of the ones Ive found. Notice also the circular bakelite aircraft power supply socket at the top.

Heres a close up of a few

Aero alloy pieces most have markings stamped into them, I dont know what the orange bakelite relic is, perhaps the handle of a cut throat razor?

This is quite a thick gauge hose that retains the elasticated outer covering, either end is made of a light weight alloy. Around the hose was a thin copper wire that had the marked id ? disc on it.

Finally these two relics were a surprise, the speed gauges for Torpedo's in knots the formica one has two different scales one on either side 35 and 40 knot as shown. The metal one I'm guessing is probably for 25 knot torpedo's.

Thats it for now, if you can confirm what any of the items shown please let me know, thank you in advance for any help.
    This thread will be up dated as relics are cleaned or found.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi mate,

Well done! I love those A.M peices. Did you find them detecting or when digging another signal?

those torpedo dials are nice as well and probably quite rare

Cheers

John

Nice finds WH ! Don't you think the excitement of digging individual signals is better than dump digging ?

John - The AM pieces almost always have some piece of brass connector in them so will get picked up by an MD. However, I am impressed LSs MD picks up toothbrushes !

I love the Torpedo dials as well. Very nice.

However, one of your pieces needs to come and live at my house. The circular bakelite power supply housing needs to come and meet my connector, also found on a WW2 RAF base some years back. I attach some pictures for you to see it

Cheers

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Nice finds WH !
    Ha! Steve! It wasn't me that went on the hunt. It was LS LOL!

?

Orange "bakelite" relic looks like the remians of a vintage car trafficator lens/arm.

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Ha! Steve! It wasn't me that went on the hunt. It was LS LOL!
    Ooops ! Sorry LS Got all excited cos you had the female bit to my male (If you know what I mean )

Steve T

Hi John,
    When I first visited the site, I wandered around and got signals here and there but then I sort of worked my way toward where it was concentrated. The last time I went I only actually got 2 signals but the relics out of these holes were enough to fill my my finds ruck sack. I think the area probably was a sparse dump site, so although I had a signal I can't confirm it was only the AM terminals because so much came out each hole.
    Thanks for the Torpedo dials comment they're certainly unusual and lucky me I got another of the metal ones yesterday.

Hi Steve,
    That plug is a lovely piece is it AM marked?, the socket is complete with the original porcelain backing. But seeing your plug makes me think I may have found one but with one of its pins broken off. I'll have to see if I can locate it to confirm. Currently I've got stuff lying all over the place. I think the first pics on this post of my recent finds tipped out of the sack really dont do justice to some of the interesting and odd shaped pieces mixed in there. So I'll be posting more finds pictures soon, probably tomorrow.

Hi Nick
    What can I say another brilliant ID, I'm pretty sure you're right. I did think a flourescent razor handle was a little far fetched. Thanks again.

LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Impressive haul there, thanks for sharing. In the first pile of bits, bottom right is the bomb arming box from a Lanc or Halifax etc. Top left in the photo here:
    http://www.lancaster-archive.com/lanc-ba-area1.jpg

Hi ian_
    You've made my day with your ID, I'm chuffed to bits with what it is and off a Lanc or Halifax thats great. I cleaned it up today and will post pics tomorrow, Thanks for the photo I didn't realise each hole in its face held a switch, I think I found a couple of these small circular switches and a couple of the circular rubber bushes that held them in place. Hopefully I'll find them again when I work my way through the finds pile.
    I'll be adding to this thread as I recover and clean more finds, but I have a few interesting finds already to show, so I'll put them on soon.
    Thanks again for your help with the bomb arming box .
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast