Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

POW camp - Search for the dump - August 2011

Article about: Hi all Yep, that's right......I've been out detecting twice this week I have been talking to a guy who remembers the POW camp well, and not only that, but his father remembers going down to

Default POW camp - Search for the dump - August 2011

Hi all

Yep, that's right......I've been out detecting twice this week

I have been talking to a guy who remembers the POW camp well, and not only that, but his father remembers going down to the edge of the camp to rummage 'through the POW camp dump'. You can imagine my interest in this information and, armed with an aerial photograph, a spade, a metal detector and a finds bag, I went out to the camp to try and track the dump down.

After 30 minutes of trying to evade a rather aggressive horse, and a close encounter with a barbed wire fence, I eventually found the location pinpointed by the guys father. Only problem was, it was right slap dab in the middle of the 9th fairway of the local golf course !!!! Much as I would have liked to, I doubt they would have taken kindly to me digging them a new bunker in an attempt to find an old rubbish dump !

Saddened, I wandered back up towards the road and thought sod it ! Whilst here I may as well give the area a bit of a go with the metal detector.

There weren't many finds, but one of them has me intrigued, and two nciely confirm that the Germans were here !

Before cleaning

After cleaning

Gibbs was a popular brand back in the war

I am showing these because they are quite the oddest little bulbs I've ever seen. Little fish eye lenses on them.

A Farthing. Dated 1941

30 cal cartridges. I found these on the way back to the car. I was walking quite briskly with my MD out in front of me, not sweeping, just holding it. I had almost forgotten it was on when it made a familiar tone. I wasn't expecting to get the all too familiar 'cartridge tone' on the POW camp but I got it. Imagine my surprise at this lot coming out of one hole.

I think they were left behind by the American parachutists who were stationed here before shipping out to Normandy. All are unfired but minus the bullet. Very strange !

This is obviously a badge of some description but it is quite badly squished. Anyone recognise it ? It was at the same depth as items I know were from WW2 so I am hopeful.....

And the back....

And now the proof that it was a POW camp. German Pebble buttons Not a stupendous find by any means, but one that confirms the areas use.

And the back...

And finally something that I keep finding, but will never tire of doing so. A tea ration tin, in not bad nick considering it's been buried for 65 years !

So not a bad trip. Shame about the dump but I don't suppose you can win 'em all

Steve T

Default Re: POW camp - Search for the dump - August 2011

Nice work, Steve!

nice finds steve and nicely presented. hopefully i'll get to use my new m.d. soon. im trying to build an extention and my neighbours are being c**ts.thanks for showing

The 'Badge' looks to be a St. Christopher necklace.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

thanks ned it was bugging me as it seemed very familiar
    Simon

?

I think its a St christopher as well, nice finds Steve, shame about the golf course, and the naughty nag, but " NEIGH" bother mate at least you had a good "TROT" around, at least you had nice "WITHER"

your fish eye lenseds are I think, catseyes used in the middle of the road. The holes in the base should have a pin in there that holds the lense to the rubber base. John.

?

Thats very strange i was thinking where id seen them before and i thought about cats eyes but i couldnt be sure that they were around during the war and i couldnt see how they would be associated with a POW camp

Thanks everyone.

Cat's eyes eh? How odd. Wonder what they were doing miles from a road ! And I thought it might be a St Christopher. I was hoping it was something German but never mind......

Steve T

PS With all those horse jokes Dave I think I best bung some ketamine in your beer next time we meet.

Nice little haul, wel done for finding evidence of the POW camp. Those Tea Rations seem to follow you around It's possible that the St. Christopher is silver

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast