MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Pre D Day battleground Training Area.

Article about: Wow. Love the sign and the 81mm section of tail. Great work... keep it up A hate jam with a vengeance but I love the tin! DM

?

Default Re: Pre D Day battleground Training Area.

Top work LS !! I love the practice grenade!

Awesome finds as per usual LS Love the trip flare

Hi Jay
    Cheers for the reply I can happily say the RG is my favourite find so far from this site, but you've had some nice bits from your new site I love the RA Badge and esp the German Flare Cartridge, so keep up the good work.
    Thanks Steve,
    The Trip flare was on just lying on the surface so its suffered over the years from the weather its a bit nibbled but still nicely marked. It's spike was just below the surface and close by.
    All the Best for now.
    LS

Very nice collection of finds. I really like these 'running report' kind of threads. Its a pity though, that a lot of these old wartime sites are now SSSI so any kind of digging is a no-no. I know a great 'Desert Rats' transit camp which is an SSSI so I can't do anything with it. Doesn't stop the walkers letting their dogs crap all over it though!

Really great finds, I should get off my behind and start searching up here

Did you ever get a positive confirmation on that clover looking thing that 'might' be used to hold three mortar rounds in tubes? I just found one also

Mouse

Hi Mouse: the "clover leaves" were used to hold a variety of different rounds.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for your comments Guys,
    DM its great to hear you've got one too, When I found mine I could remember seeing someone digging a load of them in the Ardennes but I couldnt remember what they were used for, so its very helpful Ade confirming that they were used for a variety of different rounds.
    Cheers
    LS

“Clover leaves” – closing holders for 3 U.S. 155mm howitzer propelling charge containers.
    Attachment 379365

Last edited by Whitehunter; 08-04-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Here's a pic of the inert rifle grenade (previously posted as found) now cleaned up and united with a relic tail from the same site

A relic Bazooka tail blinking in the sun for the first time in 78 years.

Some of the recently found Bazooka tails, in uncleaned condition.

Now these peices interest me, all 7 of them were found together in the same hole. Can you suggest what they were used for? Perhaps some sort of ground peg or means of tethering something to the ground?

First glimpse of an interesting peice of cutlery.

..and now fully exposed, a nice US style spoon sadly I've been unable to find any US markings but this could be due to the rusting?

A relic piece of grenade shrapnel, the internal spring has been well and truly compressed.

This time an early item surfaced, a small decorative buckle with the .303 to show the scale.

A nicely marked and well preserved 2 inch mortar tail.

Next visit finds, as you can see another selection of relic Bazooka tails, and a couple of the WW2model trip flare spikes.

I found the US Garande ammo clip first before the cartridges. I thought if this had pinged out as the last round was fired then there must be some .30-6 cal cartridges near by. A slow and methodical search of the immediate area produced these. As each clip held just 8 rounds there's the possibility that nearby lies another?

I found one .45 cal and again thought perhaps someone had fired a blat from the position so another careful search revealed these from an area only 2 feet square.

Thats it for now until next time thanks for any help.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre D Day battleground Training Area.  

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast