Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Pre D Day battleground Training Area.

Article about: Wow. Love the sign and the 81mm section of tail. Great work... keep it up A hate jam with a vengeance but I love the tin! DM

Default Re: Pre D Day battleground Training Area.

I think you guys are taking it to a whole other level.
    But he does honour his name.
    LS: You got yourself a very nice site. I like the warning sign.
    The small mortarfins are from 60mm HE US mortar M49A1. The larger ones from a M43 81mm.
    Watch out with the M56 81mm mortar tail section, it looks exactly the same as the M57-WP, if it is a M57-WP it still might have a nasty surprise left in it.
    I learned that at my own expence.

Cheers,
    Steven
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre D Day battleground Training Area.   Pre D Day battleground Training Area.  

White phos......nasty stuff

Don't tell me about it.
    The bugger smoked and burned for at least 2 or 3min., once the WP came in contact with the air, while I was cleaning it with a wire brush and no means to extinguish it.
    The garage was filling with a thick suffocating white smoke. But there is one hint it gives you, it's the typical smell it has.
    My wife was so mad at me, she almost revoced my diggin' privileges.

Thanks WW2hunter mine is definately the M56, thankfully all cleaned up and not a trace of WP, mine still has the fired cartridge head in place, the upper paper part having long since rotted away. It was made by ICI!
    Very lucky you didnt get any WP on you that would have been very nasty.
    Take care.
    LS

Here are some pictures of mine.
    I got a "luckyStrike" on that one for sure LS.
    But you didn't hear the wife screaming and yelling at me.
    Getting roasted or deaf? What would have been the lesser evil
    Hope you make some other crakkin' finds there.
    You must be having a large collection by now.

Steven
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre D Day battleground Training Area.   Pre D Day battleground Training Area.  

WP is awfull, my man 1 was burnt by the stuff when we were digging some old dumped and buried Iraqi mortars. Luckily he was quite quick to notice and his burns were limited to one hand, we pored water over his hand and then wrapped his hand in damp kim wipe and carted him off to the docs. No lasting damage.

Hi Steven,
    Nice pics of your find and lucky no lasting damage from the WP.
    I think it goes with the hobby, a roasting from the wife occasionally, been there a few times myself
    Yes my collection is growing all the time , I cant display it all now. My plan is to alternate displays from time to time
    M3
    Sounds nasty that burn , lucky you had water on hand and no long term effects.
    Cheers.
    LS

I had a couple of hours search yesterday, here are pics of some of the finds from when I remembered to get my camera out!

First up the tail from another M56.

Another 3 inch tail.

Do you know what this one is, notice the fins on tail. Could it be a practice round or perhaps even the remains of a 2 inch mortar based on the tail fin size?

I thought this could be a dummy/practice land mine, but now think perhaps a drain cover. Notice the slab of concrete on the top.

I'll post pics of the finds including a few more when cleaned.
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by WW2Hunter View Post
    Don't tell me about it.
    The bugger smoked and burned for at least 2 or 3min., once the WP came in contact with the air, while I was cleaning it with a wire brush and no means to extinguish it.
    The garage was filling with a thick suffocating white smoke. But there is one hint it gives you, it's the typical smell it has.
    My wife was so mad at me, she almost revoced my diggin' privileges.
    I have the same issue with the 2 inch mortar rounds that I occassionally dig up, theres not really any way round it other than to take your time, do it outside, wear very thick leather gloves and let any WP you come across burn Its a pity that such nice finds can still pose a hazard at the same time....

Thanks

Danny

Nice finds again LS. The long item with the fin isn't the remains of a British 2inch mortar as they weren't that big, or made up of a 'central core' like that. Nor does it look like an American 60mm. Plus, how would that work as a practice round ? Without the main body of the mortar shell, surely it would just flop out of the mortar barrel ! I think it looks more like a bazooka round than a mortar, with the tail fins corroded away to make them look 'short' like that.

Does it look like the fins used to be bigger ?

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast