Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R.A.F. relic ring

Article about: As I am selling a great deal of my wwI and wwII relics, I was going through some boxes today, taking pictures and making price lists. Amazing the amount of stuff I have that I totally forgot

appie
    ?

Default R.A.F. relic ring

As I am selling a great deal of my wwI and wwII relics, I was going through some boxes today, taking pictures and making price lists.
    Amazing the amount of stuff I have that I totally forgot about, packed in boxes. One of the odd items I came across is this finger ring, a relic that i found some years ago in Belgium.
    Now as have managed to locate the family of the bracelet I found also some years ago, and have returned it to the son of the GI that lost it, I was wondering if I could pull the same trick with this item.
    It has a name, only a first name unfortunately, but as it has a service number it could be possible I think, with a little help.
    I would love to be able to return this ring to where it belongs, and if I don't succeed I will sell it to somebody who wants to give it a try. Put the ring up for auction some years ago, but got some e-mails about it that it was wrong to sell a personal item like this, although a museum offerderd me 150 euro's for it.
    Anyway, if anybody has info on this item, or access to the British records please let us know!

The rings has the following inscription;

STAN
    R.A.F.

I don't know if the two first figures are numbers or the letter H due to some wear on the corners of the ring (if British service numbers used letters).
    Would be great to know who the owner was, and what happend to him and why he lost the ring.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture R.A.F. relic ring  

Reg
    ?

Default Re: R.A.F. relic ring

I cant help with identifying the ring, im sure someone on here can though. But good luck with it, very noble of you to try and find the owner or owners relations, many "collectors" would have just sold it for what they could get.

Best wishes
    Reg

appie
    ?

Thanks guys, I think this one is going to be harder to find out than the GI bracelet. Seems the wwII records are still closed, tried doing some research last night, but no luck. I tried running the service number through the cemetery records, but also no luck; will need a family name to narrow down the search. Most of the British service numbers have six figures instead of seven, so maybe its not British to make it even worse (anybody know about seven digit service numbers?).
    There where some plane parts we found in the area, but both have nothing to do with this ring I think, as one was a wwI German plane as I recoverd the LMG14 machine gun, and the other turned out to be a B17f which got hit by German Flak in 1944 on its way to a bombing raid in Germany. The crew is burried close, but none of the crew members were called Stan or Stanley.
    By the look of the picture I uploaded the last figure seems to be a "3" instead of a "7", so the service number is;
    This will remain a mystery untill somebody can indentify the service number.

Quote by appie View Post
    Thanks guys, I think this one is going to be harder to find out than the GI bracelet. Seems the wwII records are still closed, tried doing some research last night, but no luck. I tried running the service number through the cemetery records, but also no luck; will need a family name to narrow down the search. Most of the British service numbers have six figures instead of seven, so maybe its not British to make it even worse (anybody know about seven digit service numbers?).
    There where some plane parts we found in the area, but both have nothing to do with this ring I think, as one was a wwI German plane as I recoverd the LMG14 machine gun, and the other turned out to be a B17f which got hit by German Flak in 1944 on its way to a bombing raid in Germany. The crew is burried close, but none of the crew members were called Stan or Stanley.
    By the look of the picture I uploaded the last figure seems to be a "3" instead of a "7", so the service number is;
    This will remain a mystery untill somebody can indentify the service number.
    the number on the ring is H96993

appie
    ?

Thanks Wehrmachtsman! So you think the service number begins with a H instead of 11? Would that be more common for a British service number?
    Its a pitty the ring is worn badly and the digits on the beginning and end are so worn.

hi

well i am not raf or brittish collector
    but if you look closely to the two I I you can see a small part of the - between just on the left side of the second I

also i have cleared your picture a bit hope this helps something

cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture R.A.F. relic ring  

appie
    ?

Thanks again, that seems to make sense to me. So all the research I did last night on the wrong number was a total waste of time!
    Well, guess I'll start again tonight with this number!

hi

good luck with your search
    please keep the info posted as i am very interested in what happend with the pilot or gunner

Hi Appie, good luck on your search.

I am almost certain the RAF did not use letter prefixes to serial numbers in WW2. So the number will be:

With our records being closed, researching WW2 servicemen is really difficult

Cheers, Ade.

OKW
    ?

Try the records office at RAF Insworth in Glos they may beable to confirm ser No even if they won't give out details. I'd try the line of returning ring of possible casualty as best bet for max co operation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast