Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Recent Normandy Finds 2!

Article about: Hi all, Thanks for all the positive comments on "Recent Normandy Finds 1", much appreciated. Attached are some pics of some kind of rocket that was found buried about 2 feet deep i

Default Recent Normandy Finds 2!

Hi all,

Thanks for all the positive comments on "Recent Normandy Finds 1", much appreciated.

Attached are some pics of some kind of rocket that was found buried about 2 feet deep in the side of a Machine Gun Nest in the sand dunes of Juno Beach. I have ruled out a rocket from a Typhoon as the back end of the shell is completely different. So what on earth is it from? Does anyone have any photos or illustrations of these as I have no idea what they looked like.

The flared "rocket nozzle" was found just behind the main shell head and having extracted that and rechecking the hole we found that the head was buried much deeper. The part with lots of holes in it was inside the rocket head.

Over to you folks hopefully you can shed some light on it!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recent Normandy Finds 2!   Recent Normandy Finds 2!  

Default Re: Recent Normandy Finds 2!

Could it be part of a Bangalore Torpedo?
    Regards Ned

Hi,

i don't think so as the size is to big and the rocket venturi at the back suggests that this rocket was launched?

Dan

?

Other then straight forward ship battery support during the landings, was support provided by rocket firing launchers on ships?? If air support rockets have been ruled out, and doesn't look like much of a bazooka round I'm stumped.

That would make sense! This one was right on target being found in the bank of a machine gun nest! It would be nice to know what these things looked like but there does'nt seem to be any information on the web.

Anyway thanks again for the info (if anyone comes across a pic or any info on the type of rocket used by these rocket barges then perhaps you can post it for us to see).

Cheers

Dan

Almost certainly from a rocket support ship but to be sure can you give a rough estimate as to the calibre of the projectile ?

http://ww2lct.org/newsletter/Dec2001/page13.pdf

This may prove useful as well...... Juno Beach - Weapons

Steve T

Lovely, thanks for this, the diameter of the shell head is about 5 inches across.

Dan

That's about right then. Nice find !!

Before you go next time drop me a line.....I'll give you some pointers to areas I have found bucketfuls of relics in recent years !

Steve T