Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recent RAF find

Article about: Again after a long day of looking at an RAF site near me this was all I turned up. At first I had no idea what it was but put it in my bag and took it back with me anyway. After some cleanin

?

Default Recent RAF find

Again after a long day of looking at an RAF site near me this was all I turned up. At first I had no idea what it was but put it in my bag and took it back with me anyway. After some cleaning up I still had no idea until a family member pointed out it was a smoking pipe! so with the help of Google it turned out to be just that minus the bowl which I can presume disintegrated over time. Definitely one of my favourites so far as I like the fact it was someones personal item rather than issued equipment if that makes sense?

Last edited by FJR6; 10-01-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Edited due to fat fingers!

Your photos aren't showing F J.

Please use the forum uploader to show pictures of items. The following link takes you to the 'how to' guide for this feature.

New picture posting feature - How to guide !

Steve T

?

Steve, hopefully it's worked now. I had a bit of an issue with my photobucket as the forum uploaded wasn't letting my computer do it for some reason unlike my other pics where it's been fine!

Do you want me to remove them and try the uploaded again?

Hi FJR,

The Falcon pipe was invented in the States in 1936. It was almost exclusively supplied to American forces via the PX from 1940 onwards throughout the war. It was first produced in the U.K. in 1955, so your pipe can't be any older than this. They are still produced, and you can certainly buy a spare bowl to fit it if it's not too damaged or corroded. I used to smoke a pipe when I was 18, not very fashionable I know, but working on the saws at the Forestry Commission was not conducive with smoking cigarettes as they fell apart because your hands were so wet most of the time. Also a pipe could be kept in the mouth unlit, and still offered a little flavour of tobacco without being a potential fire hazard.

I remember getting a Falcon pipe free after sending off a certain amount of empty St Bruno tobacco pouches on offers that the company used to run. It's a good pipe!

Here's some background info:

FALCON HISTORY

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Ned, many thanks for that. It could have been a traded item or possibly from a chap from the RCAF as Canadians were there also.

Also thanks for the websites link. Although I don't smoke I personally think pipes are cool, very useful for chest poking to make a point when required!

It says 'Made in England' on the base of the bowl, therefore it cannot pre date 1955 as I already pointed out. My question is why would it need to be traded and were the Canucks still serving in the U.K. at your base post 1955?

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Much prefer Peterson myself.....

I've given up tobacco....It'll kill ya that stuff will! These days it's a crack pipe for me.

?

Ah ok, sorry I miss read your initial post. Well that is a mystery then as I know of no post war activity in the area and given what happened at the location make this a bit baffling!

If they didn't make them until 1955 onwards it is obviously post war as you say but how it ended up where it did is frankly messing with my tiny mind!!! Still good to know more about it even if it wasn't what it seemed in the first instance!

Jon

Dropped by a chap shooting maybe...?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast