MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Relic Browning Hi Power, from St Mere Eglise.

Article about: by Blackpowder44 It may be a Polish Radom pistol, John. Hi John, Definately not a Radom mate. Note the difference in the trigger (the Radom trigger is similar to the Colt 1911). Also theres

Default Relic Browning Hi Power, from St Mere Eglise.

Hi all. I just thought I'd share my latest purchase! A Browning Hi-Power, ground dug in St Mere Eglise, Normandy. She's an absolute stunner!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic Browning Hi Power, from St Mere Eglise.   Relic Browning Hi Power, from St Mere Eglise.  

Relic Browning Hi Power, from St Mere Eglise.   Relic Browning Hi Power, from St Mere Eglise.  

?

Default Re: Relic Browning Hi Power, from St Mere Eglise.

Hey thats fantastic,what a beauty! Are you going to give her a scrub up or leave as dug?

I think I'll give her a light rub down with a wire brush - remove most of the loose rust, and then soak it in oil for a week or so to remove the excess muck. I'll then give her a coat of clear laquer, although I'm debating whether to 'black it up' a bit.

It'll then go in a nice box frame, and hung on the wall

?

Very nice...hopefully i can get something as nice one day.....

I can't for the life of me work out whether this belonged to an American, or German soldier. I'm more inclined to say it's German, but how common was the Hi-Power in the US Army, and Airborne during WW2?

Here's an SS soldier holding a Hi-Power.

the browning hi power was used by both sides a lot because of the canadian browning company and the belgium company but mainly canadian and airborne troops used them and the ss and gestapo were the ones to use from the german side hope this helps
    tom

The 9mm Browning Hi Power was not used by the US Army. As Tom mentions, it was issued to British and Canadian Forces. These were made by John Inglis in Canada. I have one in my collection.

The German issues were made by FN.

I would honestly leave it as is. Blacking it or adding lacquer will devalue it.

If it has come from the location claimed, it will more than likely be German issue.

Cheers, Ade.

Cheers chaps, I was more swung towards it being German.

Tom quite rightly mentions that the Hi-Power was used by the SS, and I've also read that the Fallschirmjager used them too. Which begs the question, was either the SS or Fallschirmjager in, or around St Mere Eglise?

There were no Waffen SS in or around St Mere Eglise on D Day. Fallschirmjager Regt 6 was there however. But these pistols were not exclusively issued to these units. Anyone who could get one would happily carry one as they were rightly highly rated weapons. So you might be stretching things a bit trying to pin it down to a specific unit.

This is where proper recording of finds is vital. With an exact location, you do stand a real chance of pinning it down.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. Very useful information.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast