Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Relic identification.

Article about: Hello, finally had a chance to get some pics of a couple of the items we picked up whilst on holiday. This lot came from Fricourt on the Somme. I particularly like the section of a boot heel

Default Relic identification.

Hello, finally had a chance to get some pics of a couple of the items we picked up whilst on holiday. This lot came from Fricourt on the Somme. I particularly like the section of a boot heel, the friction ignitors and what looks like a section of gas mask filter.

I am however wondering if anyone can help me identify the two box shaped items. It appears the rectangular bits of metal are lids for them. Inside they are ridged. I have included some more detailed pictures. Part of me thinks an electrical components box of some sort but i may be completely of the mark. I am also stuck on the kidney shaped bit of metal frame?

Any ideas would be great.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic identification.   Relic identification.  

Relic identification.   Relic identification.  

?

Default Re: Relic identification.

Hi,the kidney shaped thing kind of looks like a piece of a German mess tin?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

The two L shaped things,middle row far left are friction ignitors for artillery guns. I believe these are for 18lber guns but don't quote me on it! One end would be inserted into the weapon, with a cord hanging out the other end. Sharp pull on the cord ignites the primer which fires the gun. Clean them up as they should be marked.

One other thing that you need to be aware of. A couple of years ago the French gov declared all relics from WW1 and WW2 property of the French state. If you get searched and items like these are found, you will be subject to a 3000 euro fine, your car confiscated (and any equipment you have), and you locked up until fine is paid. Even if you take stuff off the surface this law applies.

Sorry......just seen you knew what the ignitors were

Quote by Steve T View Post
    The two L shaped things,middle row far left are friction ignitors for artillery guns. I believe these are for 18lber guns but don't quote me on it! One end would be inserted into the weapon, with a cord hanging out the other end. Sharp pull on the cord ignites the primer which fires the gun. Clean them up as they should be marked.

One other thing that you need to be aware of. A couple of years ago the French gov declared all relics from WW1 and WW2 property of the French state. If you get searched and items like these are found, you will be subject to a 3000 euro fine, your car confiscated (and any equipment you have), and you locked up until fine is paid. Even if you take stuff off the surface this law applies.
    Thank you, the ignitors are one of my favorite items in this lot. I was not aware of that! Its crazy as some of these items could be left deteriorating in the ground when now they are appreciated as a historical piece!

Hi Steve, to pick your brains, does the Belgium Government have the same enforcement?

The kidney shaped item looks to me like a foot stirup from a horse saddle

1 SINGLE CAVALRY MILITARY HORSE STIRRUP STAMPED "R.I.A. U.S .N.S. 1918 I.S.S." | eBay

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    The kidney shaped item looks to me like a foot stirup from a horse saddle

1 SINGLE CAVALRY MILITARY HORSE STIRRUP STAMPED "R.I.A. U.S .N.S. 1918 I.S.S." | eBay
    I see where you are coming from! Thanks for your time in replying