Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Relic reference link

Article about: Just thought I would post a link to a relic and re-enactment site I just stumbled over. It is in french but has pics and is easy to navigate for the non-french speakers. I found the link in

?

Default Relic reference link

Just thought I would post a link to a relic and re-enactment site I just stumbled over. It is in french but has pics and is easy to navigate for the non-french speakers.

I found the link in a great book that I just bought called "Rückmarsch! The German retreat From Normandy" by famed Jean Paul Pallud. I am sure that those of you who has read as many examples of the "After The Battle" magazines as I, will know of Pallud as he has been the author and coworker on several "Then and Now" articles. I can not reccomend "After the Battle" enough.

Link:

Bienvenue chez Vexin Histoire vivante

Random pics from the site:

Part from Tiger

Ground dug Browning

Pistole 08 and holster. What a find - be still my beating heart!

Parts of a Messerschmitt Bf109. Pilot was named Gutmann. Note armament.

Mercedes dragged from river.

ID bracelet

Re-enactment pics

Para. At first I thought that he had equipped himself with a private purchase WWI knuskleduster knife, but at closer examination, I think that it is just plain brass knuckles on the left shoulder harness.

Default Re: Relic reference link

Yes, Jean Paul Pallud is an institution. His book about the Battle of the Bulge is IMHO the best reference for places and actions of that battle, though it is a bit harsh to read. He spotted the exact location, on the road between Retch and Poteau in Belgium, where the famous scenes of germans with STG-44s and captured M1 carbines smoking captured american cigarrettes on a background of burning vehicles were taken. I was lucky to visit the region on the summer of 2006, and could visit most of the landmarks of that battle. It was truly awesome and highly recommended.

Here is the footage, shown on the documentary "The enemy strikes": YouTube - Newsreel: Battle of the Bulge

Regards,

Gus

?

What do you find "harsh" about the Battle for the Bulge book?

Quote by Scout View Post
    What do you find "harsh" about the Battle for the Bulge book?
    Well. Jean Paul is a good researcher and handles a lot of data, but when he puts that data on paper, then it is quite difficult to read at times. Maybe the translation from french to english has something to do.

As I said, his books (or at least "The Battle of the Bulge Then and Now" ) are perfect reference material, but if you pretend to read it as a history book, from begining to end, you can end up with a headache.

At least it happened to me.

Regards,

Gus

?

I get your point. Thanks for explaining.