Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Relic watch - Positive ID made

Article about: Well done Steve,its a credit to you,and this Forum, setting a wonderfull example. Kind Regards Mike

Default Re: Relic watch - Positive ID made

Well done Steve,its a credit to you,and this Forum,
    setting a wonderfull example.
    Kind Regards Mike

I today received the following from Oliver's brother......

Oliver Robinson Jelks was born in 1893 in Hawkinsville, Georgia, and died in Austin, Texas in 1974. He had two children: Oliver, Jr., born in 1920, and me (Edward Baker Jelks), born in 1922.

When the U. S. declared war on the Axis nations in December 1941. Oliver, Jr. was a senior at the University of Texas majoring in pre-med. He dropped out of the University to join the Army Air Corps in January 1942. After completing flight training and receiving his commission as a 2nd lieutenant, he was assigned to an air force base in England, where he remained until the end of the WWII. He obviously lost his watch there, where you found it more than half a century later. I believe he received a wristwatch from his parents as a high school graduation present in 1937. This is probably the watch you found.

After being discharged from the Air Corps, Oliver returned to the university, got a teaching certificate, and taught high school in Texas towns for some years. Later he became an auditor for the State of Texas, auditing the books of various state agencies, a position he held until retirement about 1985. He died in Austin in in 1996.

I also received an e-mail from the president of the official 'association' for the group that was based at 'my' airfield, a retired Lt Colonel. He has confirmed through the official records of the squadrons based there, that Oliver Jelks was indeed at 'my' base. He was a supply officer with the rank of Lieutenant, joining in early 1944 and leaving at the end of the war.

All that remains is for me to receive the photograph of Oliver, and the watch to be in the possession of his brother

Cheers

Steve T

Steve, my hat is off to you! There was a reason for you going to that airfield, you found it. Well done mate!

Martyn.

You're a good man Steve, and a darn good writer. You should write a book.

?

Steve nice job . Gary

Great work Steve! This sent shivers down my spine. I hope we get to see photos soon. This is one of the high points of our hobby.

Thanks chaps.

I am really pleased Can't wait to see the photo. I feel like I know the guy !!!!

Steve T

Gentlemen

I would like to introduce you to 1st LT Oliver R Jelks Jnr, owner of the watch.

I dunno what else to say.....speechless.

Steve T

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic watch - Positive ID made  

Bravo!!! Nice follow through, Steve. The man lives through your efforts. I have a photo of my uncle somewhere with the same rank and insignia. he was a bombardier on B-17's.

So great, i wish i could do something like that one day, but in the meantime, i congratulate you for your great efforts and wow you must feel good!

Regards,
    finn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast