Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Remains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch Scotland

Article about: Hi chaps, I thought i would share some photos I took of the crash site and remains of the B24 Liberator bomber serial no 42-95095 that was lost on 13th June 1945 with all 15 crew and passeng

Default Remains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch Scotland

Hi chaps,

I thought i would share some photos I took of the crash site and remains of the B24 Liberator bomber serial no 42-95095 that was lost on 13th June 1945 with all 15 crew and passengers, The impact was so severe that there were no remains to recover and the site is treated as a war grave. There are around the memorial the remains of many personal items such as shoes and scraps of material. The site takes some effort to get too and as you can see with the exception of any weaponry everything else has been left pretty much where it came to rest.

IRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch Scotland cant but help feel sad for those who lost their lives and find it very poignant that having survived a world war they lost their lives on the journey home to be re-united with their loved ones.

Default Re: Remains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch Scotland

Wow, incredible mate.

I wonder if the recovery teams have recently tried again to look for any remains. Very moving memorial.

Thanks
    Burt

great photos. Very moving.

Andy

That's a fantastic memorial and a very moving one at that~!
    Thanks for posting,

Dan

A few more photos of the area, any questions please ask.Remains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch ScotlandRemains of B24 liberator bomber, near Gairloch Scotland

All the best

Robin

Thanks for showing those pics.

Like you say very sad this happened straight after the war

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem