MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remains from Polish Para Camp in England

Article about: Although not on the scale of some of the eastern eurpeon sites, I thought I would post a few pictures of some metal detecting finds from a site near to where I live that was used in and arou

?

Default Remains from Polish Para Camp in England

Although not on the scale of some of the eastern eurpeon sites, I thought I would post a few pictures of some metal detecting finds from a site near to where I live that was used in and around the time of Arnhem by the 1st independent Polish Parachute Brigade.

The Following photos show the wood today.
    One photo shows General Sosabowski taking a final salute to the Brigade at Wansford camp, after he was "relieved" of command in December 1944.
    One of the finds photo's is of a trigger switch detonator (trip wire type) with a convertor spigot for a German "S type" mine. (The two pieces were found 25 metres apart .... 1 part being found over 20 years ago, the other recently !!) .. Also noting that the Poles trained on German equipment incase of being trapped behind enemy lines.

Hope this is of interest ....

G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Remains from Polish Para Camp in England   Remains from Polish Para Camp in England  

Remains from Polish Para Camp in England   Remains from Polish Para Camp in England  

Remains from Polish Para Camp in England   Remains from Polish Para Camp in England  

?

Default Re: Remains from Polish Para Camp in England

Also a contemporary photo of the Polish Airborne Colour Party believed to have been taken at Wansford.
    Noting that the Colours are the same Colours as in my Avatar ...
    These colours still exist, and are on show in the Sikorski Institute in London.

G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Remains from Polish Para Camp in England  

G did you find the mills bomb there also?
    Ben

?

Ben,
    Yes !!!!! and it was a little more intact than the photo at the time the main piece you see has been glued back together from five shrapnel parts !

.. Because of the location, Grenade and mortar training was undertaken at the site, as well as "Groundwork" for the pathfinder sections of the Brigade. (Of which my late father trained.)
    Also, covert techniques of blowing up sections of railway lines were undertaken in an adjacent quarry, as well as various test firings of captured German small arms for training .. plus booby trap techniques using M35 tellermines and S types !!

G.

Also note that one of the British "pennies" (coins) has been shot at as a target ! ... the notch in the coin corresponds to a 9mm bullet being fired at it !

Quote by regiment739 View Post
    G did you find the mills bomb there also?
    Last edited by Gary J; 06-05-2008 at 01:08 PM.

?

Very interesting, I like the Mills grenades...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

G I think this is great, I now reflect on the trimes I myself have been on exercise at Catterick, or Stanta, Breacon and have found torches, sleeping bags, ammunition blank and live, alsorts. So it still happens even to this day
    Ben

Great finds Polski44!

I agree , all ground dug relics just have that specal something , cheers G , Raymond

Great finds !

Which woods is it near Wansford ? The ones to the west, the ones the other side of the A1 or the ones to the northwest of Thornhaugh ?

Many thanks

Relichunter

?

PM sent

G.

Quote by relichunter View Post
    Great finds !

Which woods is it near Wansford ? The ones to the west, the ones the other side of the A1 or the ones to the northwest of Thornhaugh ?

Many thanks

Relichunter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast