Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ring from dump

Article about: This ring was found by a fellow digger in a dump. I don't think it's gold, but it's not the first one I see with the same style. I am wondering then if anyone knows what it is. It was togeth

?

Default ring from dump

This ring was found by a fellow digger in a dump. I don't think it's gold, but it's not the first one I see with the same style. I am wondering then if anyone knows what it is. It was together with german military discarded equipment and stuff. It reminds me a wedding ring but has no engraving inside, although you can see maker markings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ring from dump  
    Regards

Matt

Default Re: ring from dump

It looks like Gold, Did it come out in this condition?

There appears to be hallmarks/Assay stamps present besides a possible makers name and ring size, are they legible?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree, it looks like a gold wedding ring. I have never seen a German-made ring that had a fraction stamped inside (1/2) and I know that German ring sizes are given in the actual inside diameter measurement in mm. If the ID is 16 1/2 mm, it's for a fairly small finger, maybe a woman, or a really skinny guy. I have a 20mm ring, and I'm not a big guy. And not all wedding rings have engraving on the inside, though many, if not most, do. My suggestion is to take it to a jeweler who might be able to identify the maker and the obscured portion of the maker's stamp on the left. That's a great find. Dwight

If you put it on does it make you disappear?

It may also be a goldsmiths ring to measure ring size. That also explains why there is a size marked inside of the ring band.

?

Thanks guys for all your inputs. Yes it looked like this. the markings are A*D (where asterisk is a small star) and AM DBLER.F.
    I googled it with no results.
    Regards

Matt

Quote by helmetone View Post
    If you put it on does it make you disappear?
    Is it just me or am I the only one that sees an esnscription appear on the outside of the ring after looking at it for a few seconds...
    JK nice find

Looks to be very precioussss

"(A&D) AM. DBLE R.F. 16 1/2" "A&D" I believe is the maker's mark. The AM. DBLE R.F. stands for "American Double Rolled-gold Filled". This was a common Victorian-era jewelry marking. 16 1/2 is the size. This corresponds to an American size 6 ring-a fairly small ring, so this was likely a soldiers wife's ring that he carried-or , from it's age and era, possibly his deceased Mother's. How sad that it ended up in an old dump...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast