Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Roermond Finds -Wooded Area

Article about: All these items were found several years ago and all came from a small area in a large wood on the Dutch/German border near Roermond. The K98 pouch and Luftwaffe belt buckle were found toget

Default Roermond Finds -Wooded Area

All these items were found several years ago and all came from a small area in a large wood on the Dutch/German border near Roermond. The K98 pouch and Luftwaffe belt buckle were found together. The woods were used for training and as a harbour position for Hubners 3 Para Regt comprising of mostly luftwaffe troops but there was no fighting in this area although it was heavily shelled judging by the amount of shrapnel I found. I also found several lines of 50 cal shells probably from straffing aircraft as it was used as an MSR for fighting in and around the Roer triangle area

I just wanted to share the find with you all. I also found a complete MG34 cleaning kit with anti aircraft sight. The flare pistol(french) was found with dozens of live flare rounds. I also found 2 ZB 26 barrels and two complete boxes of ZB 26 ammo in mags but that was over 10 years ago and sadly I have no digital photos. I have found several helmets one complete with liner and the owners name.

Sometimes the better finds come from echelon areas not directly involved with the fighting. Any info on fighting iaround the Roermond area would be greatfully received

Rgds John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Roermond Finds -Wooded Area   Roermond Finds -Wooded Area  

Roermond Finds -Wooded Area   Roermond Finds -Wooded Area  

Roermond Finds -Wooded Area  

Default Re: Roermond Finds -Wooded Area

Nice one john,
    What are the things that look like a string of beeds in the 3rd picture down?
    I love the anti aircraft sight!!!! Shame its so rotton.

appie
    ?

Seems to be a K98k cleaning set. Nice early bakelite oil bottle, and the spoon is nice too.

?

Very nice items!

Hi John

Thx for sharing these, I agree that the sight is a good find, this is only the second ground dug example I've seen...

Greetz

Nick VR

Hi Jhon, nice find. I think that you can have amazing results recovering the items using the electrolysis "de-rusting" method . It was shown some month ago in the forum as web link.
    I tried and is fantastic.
    Cheers

I had an uncle (Norman Gliddon) who was in the KRRC and was wounded in the Roermond Triangle as he used to call it. He told me once that whilst he was parked up a very large group of german soldiers appeared coming down the road under a white flag. Their weapons were all thrown into a slit trench and buried. He did go back in the 60's to see if he could remember where it was.

RIP uncle Norman, miss you.

John

Thanks for all the comments and the advice for cleaning I will definately investigate the electrolysis.

John your comments about your uncle are very interesting and you should be proud about your uncle as this campaign is not well recognised or written about as it was overshadowed by Arnhem and the bulge. There is a fantastic book about this Op Blackock and it was a very intensive action against spirited German defence under dreadful winter conditions. It would be lovely to narrow down the area where your uncle saw the weapons being discarded. Every once in a while a Dutch enthusiast discovers a cache of wps or helemets with their deep search but its more luck than judgement. Often the best finds are located by local knowledge e.g farmers etc but as an outsider its difficult to establish this rapport

All the best John

Awesome finds , lover the named liner , cheers Raymond

Liner looks like a Para helmet liner...nice mate. Danny